1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book to read to Year 3 suggestions.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cuteinpuce, Jul 11, 2015.

1. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

It's almost the last week of the school year and my brain has turned to mush. I'd like to read a book to my Year 3 class over the course of the week purely for enjoyment (well, also to encourage them to keep up their own reading over the holidays) but I can't think of what.

Any suggestions? I seem to have lost all decision-making capabilities.

2. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

Roald Dahl.

3. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Yep- always Roald Dahl. You would easily get through The Twits in a week.

4. KS2History

KS2History New commenter

George's Marvellous Medicine is always a hit with Y3

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Please NOT Roald Dahl they can recite them in their sleep! Introduce them to authors they might not know ... Anthony Horowitz, Jonny Duddle, Brandon Sanderson, A F Harrold etc etc there are so many more great children's authors

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I agree with Msz. You don't have to finish the book as this may encourage them to get it from the library or buy it. Perhaps parents may even read it to them if it is too difficult for them. There are so many great books out there. Look on the web site Love Reading for Kids.

7. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Thanks for the suggestions (the Love Reading For Kids site is great). I'd like something a bit different which the children might not have come across. I'll keep looking.

8. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

Beaver Towers by Nigel Hinton

9. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I learned today that The Twits was the most widely read book among primary aged children last year, so if there was ever a reason to read something else to them, I think this is it.