1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book that changed your life?...

Discussion in 'Book club' started by steffiw, May 30, 2011.

1. DeborahCarol

DeborahCarol New commenter

The Road Less Travelled - M Scott Peck

2. Emily Barr - Backpack. It cemented in my mind just how much I wanted to travel, so I quit my very nice teaching job and spent most of this year having a wonderful time in Asia. Can't get another job now to save my life but I have no regrets!

3. I followed a similar pattern to Eva...
    Enid Blyton - specifically the Magic Faraway Tree, moving on to the Sweet Valley series and The Babysitters Club, Judy Blume...Now I read a wide assortment of books which get swapped between myself and my mother.
    I can't say one specific book has changed my life but I have always loved reading and have always been strongly encouraged to read whatever I like.

4. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Vanity Fair...Thackeray... 16 or 17 years old... reading this was the first time I realised that those classic books on the library shelves, the books I had previously thought of as 'old fashioned - school study type books' might have stories I could enjoy, characters I could care about and moral dimensions I could learn from.. led me to want more...led me to ...Trollope, Austen, Dickens, Wilde, Eliot, James, Bronte, Joyce, Fitzgerald etc. etc. Then on to a need to read the biographies of these great authors leading on to an interest in understanding the times they lived in and wider historical contexts. Since then, as I have matured, I have read and re-read practically all the classics and have found that I get something new from these masterpieces in every decade as I myself change and understand the world differently.

Changed my life is an understatement. Thank you Becky Sharp I l will always love you.

sparkleghirl likes this.