1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book that changed your life?...

Discussion in 'Book club' started by steffiw, May 30, 2011.

1. On Facebook, there is a '30 Day Book Challenge', in which one of the days is 'The Book That Changed Your Life'.
    This had me stumped for a while but eventually I came up with one, although I can't remember the exact title, it would have to be one I learnt to read with - Janet and John. Because if I hadn't learnt to read, then all of the subsequent books would have been useless to me.
    But it did get me thinking, is there a book that changed your life?

2. That is tough - I would have to say Dr. Seuss' 'The Cat in the Hat' which first ignited my love of reading or Hardy's 'Far From the Madding Crowd' which is the first novel I remember loving - I was in Year 10 and my English teacher made it fabulous for me, perhaps inspiring me to become and English teacher!

3. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

Eddy Current by Ted McKeever. An explanation is impossible - I was a different person after I read it than I was before.
    [​IMG]

4. Mine would be 'Are you there God it's me Margaret' by Judy Blume, my auntie gave me a well loved and dog eared copy when I was about 12, I have since returned it to her own daughter and bought by own. It is a story about a girl growing up and all that teenage angst mixed in with her confusion about God and her heritage. Perfectly suited me and helped me with my early teenage years.

5. panandtilt

panandtilt New commenter

The 'Power of One' by Bryce Courtney - such a powerful novel.

6. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. One of the best, most interesting non fiction books I have ever read. I will forever be grateful to Henrietta and her family can't believe I didn't know about her before!

7. 'Moomintroll' Tove Jansson....'The Mayor of Casterbridge' Thomas Hardy....T.S.Eliot's 'The Wasteland'....'Death of a Salesman' Arthur Miller....and I'm still reading [​IMG]

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I loved these as a child and would really like to read them to my grandchildren. Are they still in print?

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I don't think any book has changed my life as such, but some books and authors have had a huge impact on me at different stages in my life. In no particular order
    A woman on the edge of time - Marge Piercy (this book haunted me for years, I read it over and over again)
    Ed Mc Bain (as an author he coloured my mental landscape for years)
    Michael Sholokov with his Don Trilogy painted evocative pictures in my mind that remain with me to this day
    Kurt Vonnegut introduced me to bitter cynicism at an early age and now I'm very good at it
    Richard Brautigan - and to think that unlike Vonnegut, his suicide attempt was successful.

10. Definitely Inky...infact, someone is cashing in big style on Jansson at the minute because they all seem to have been reprinted, with accompanying accessories eg badges, pencil cases etc!

11. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

'The Mayor of Casterbridge', which was my introduction to Thomas Hardy's novels, and started a lifetime obsession!
    Also, 'war and Peace', which Iread as a teenager, and opened the world of Russian Literature.

12. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

"Little Women", because it introduced me to the idea of a strong, independent female lead character. I loved Jo March wiith every fibre of my being and went on to read the rest of the series, never tired or her. Also it was the book that marked the end of my childhood and the 'crossing the water' into more adult fiction.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have 38 McBain books in my bookcase - several of them penguin originals (most of them 87th Precinct) that I stole from my mum (for safe keeping [​IMG]). I have one signed novel but it's not an 87th Precinct novel...they ignited my passion for crime stories and were the inspiration for Hill St Blues which, in turn, got me started on American police series.

The Women's Room by Marilyn French opened my eyes to the stereotypical role I'd fallen into as a very young new wife.

14. Just seen this thread and had to, had to, reply. The book that changed my life has to be the true story of Stuart Shorter by Alexander Masters, 'Stuart, a life backwards'. It has stayed with me ever since I read the book, which is nearly four years ago, and really changed my thinking and, yes, my life. I found the book in a second hand bookshop and was blown away. Anyone else read it or watched the film? Also, anyone read 'The Queen of Whale Cay' about Joe Carstairs? What an amazing woman!

15. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Ooh, where to begin!!
    I could make a list that would take me from now to Christmas, but there is one book responsible for leading me on my life path-'Animal Farm'. I read it as a teenager and spent that particular summer holiday reading all of George Orwell.

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

The summer was when the USSR invaded Czechoslovakia. I found I couldn't read the last few pages because of the tears streaming down my face. What I was trying to read, was unfolding before my eyes on the TV news.
    I found the whole experience so amazing expressed in Orwell's words, that I decided to become an English teacher to share the experience of the power of words. Little did I know that I'd spend 36 years correcting bad spelling and casting 'pearls before swine'!!![​IMG]
    It hasn't been all bad-honest!! [​IMG]

16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Please excuse the section of gobbledogook in the middle! I haven't a clue where it came from and I can't get rid if it!! [​IMG]
    Doh!!

17. I would say 3 books stand out for different reasons:
    I found the book covers as they bring back a lot of memories, too!
    Little Women.
    [​IMG]
    Papillon.
    [​IMG]
    and The Book Thief
    [​IMG]

18. James Bond, Ian Fleming.
    I'm not joking. I was 13 or 14 and reading wasn't important for me. Then I read a Bond book, can't remember which one, loved it, read them all, and kept reading ever since.
    Thanks James.

19. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

I can't say that any one book has changed my life, but being a reader certainly has.
    Having said that, I'm just finishing An Evil Cradling by Brian Keenan (one of the Beirut hostages) and I can't recommend it enough. I don't often read nonfiction, but this is one of the most thought provoking, incredible books I've read in years - if not ever.

20. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

1984 - George Orwell - How close humanity can get to it is an interesting point for discussion
    The White Hotel - DM Thomas - The lasting effects of violence and trauma
    Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte - The pure passion of Cathy and Heathcliff
    Urban Grimshaw and the Shed Crew - Bernard Hare - What really can be going on just around the corner
    B x