1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book suggestions for able Reception reader

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rotta, Apr 4, 2019.

1. rotta

rotta New commenter

Hello,

Ex-KS2 teacher here but apologies for posting this as a parent rather than a teacher...

My son is in Reception and doing really well but I’ve noticed his love of reading has begun to wane since moving from the phonics readers to ‘real’ books. He is allowed to go to Years 2&3 to choose reading books and the quality of the books and authors is great but he has lost all his enthusiasm to read at home. He can read most of the words but hasn’t got the focus or comprehension for these books I think. His language skills are pretty good though.

So if you’re still reading, I’ve got two questions for you:

1 - can you suggest any books with a 7year reading age but 5 year focus and comprehension age?

2 - can you suggest any books I can read to him to help develop his reading comprehension? A lot of our books at home are preschool picture books that he knows inside out and has had for years eg Julia Donaldson. What’s a good next stage?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I will speak to his teacher after the holidays about this but don’t want to be that pushy parent on the last day of term!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Lots of use of your local library? Sometimes the quality of picture books can be better than the next stage on, and the words aren't necessarily any easier, because they're intended for an adult to read. Better to read and enjoy lots of picture books than struggle with longer books aimed at slightly older children.
    The only problem is that you need lots of them! Arm yourself with your library card as well as his, and a strong bag.

If you can get him choosing picture books, take yourself to whatever the next stage on is labelled in your library, and choose some from there. You might find a helpful library assistant, but if they've no expertise, ask other parents in the children's area - I've heard many parent-to-parent recommendations in our local library!

Some children are put off by black and white books, but there are some series which are "paperback" format but still with colour pictures. Horrid Henry, for instance, comes in colour versions "for younger readers" as well as the standard paperbacks.

3. rotta

rotta New commenter

Thanks so much for your reply. I’ll definitely pay a trip to the library soon. I think you’ve got a point about being put off by black and white actually, and he chose a Horrid Henry to read in the holidays so we’ll give that a go

4. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

If you're looking for Horrid Henrys cheap - try Poundland - they often have them in. Trying to think back to what my kids read at that point (similar level of reading at that age) - it was often things like those Usborne look inside non-fiction type books, and we had a first atlas that pretty much disintegrated from over-reading... plus a lot of the "Early Reader" banded ones in varying levels - they're quite nice as a mix of colour pictures and print. My youngest has some Usborne Paperback young reading ones that are a bit easy for her to read but again are a nice bridge towards chapter books (they were cheap in the charity shop).

Also - and this one will probably kill your spirit completely... joke books. They're dreadful when they don't quite know the reason WHY the joke is funny - but they love doing them and I found the short blocks of text and ability to harass a friendly grandparent for hours who'd humour them kept mine engrossed in the text a lot more than a standard fiction book might have done. Also any kind of annual or support book for an interest of his - the number of reluctant readers who will be engrossed in Pokemon or Lego guides or whatever - again it's the short blocks of text and not a wall of black and white factor.

I'm just coming at it from both of my kids hitting the same sort of point toward the end of Reception (I have two very strong readers... just don't mention the youngest's writing!) where there's that hard patch between picture books and early chapter books and you can't find much to throw at 'em.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

A tip for a bit later (possibly for ABCCBA's now if they're a bit older):
    We got to the point where words my daughter couldn't read came up so infrequently that the chances of us happening to listen to the right passage to pick them up were rather small. Then we went on holiday to a cottage which had a trivia game. Whilst the game was too hard for daughter, she loved being question master. There were frequently words that she didn't know, and had to try and decode. And you know how they hate you interrupting a story to ask if they know what a word means? Not a problem with the trivia questions, partly because there was no sense of interruption, and partly because she usually needed to know what the word meant to make any sense of the question. It was a great way to challenge her. (She was quite good at keeping the scores for Scrabble, too!)