1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book study unit - year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katielou83, Aug 3, 2011.

1. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Hi all,

I have posted in here a few times this week - going round in circles with my literacy planning!

I'm starting a new school in September and really want to make the right impression! Been teaching year 6 for a little while now and always like to start the year with a book study unit. I find this really motivates the children and also allows you to cover many of the narrative objectives from the fiction genres unit without the fairly boring NLS way of doing it!

In the past I've done really successful units using Goodnight Mr Tom and also covered Macbeth and Midsummer Night's Dream in a similar way.

I love these units but I'm really stuck with a book to use as our topic is natural disasters and nothing really seems to fit with this.

can anyone think of any other books I could use for this unit that I could link in some other way or can anyone tell me of any books you've used successfully in the past please?

I've found some fab descriptions of natural disasters in children's books through posting in here, but none of them really allow for the character development aspects so think I may need to move away from that topic.

Sorry for my rambling! Brain overload! If anyone can actually make sense of my plea then I would really appreciate some advice!

Thanks so much

KL x

2. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Hi all,

I have posted in here a few times this week - going round in circles with my literacy planning!

I'm starting a new school in September and really want to make the right impression! Been teaching year 6 for a little while now and always like to start the year with a book study unit. I find this really motivates the children and also allows you to cover many of the narrative objectives from the fiction genres unit without the fairly boring NLS way of doing it!

In the past I've done really successful units using Goodnight Mr Tom and also covered Macbeth and Midsummer Night's Dream in a similar way.

I love these units but I'm really stuck with a book to use as our topic is natural disasters and nothing really seems to fit with this.

can anyone think of any other books I could use for this unit that I could link in some other way or can anyone tell me of any books you've used successfully in the past please?

I've found some fab descriptions of natural disasters in children's books through posting in here, but none of them really allow for the character development aspects so think I may need to move away from that topic.

Sorry for my rambling! Brain overload! If anyone can actually make sense of my plea then I would really appreciate some advice!

Thanks so much

KL x

3. you could try Michael Morpurgo's Running Wild - a young boy loses his father in Iraq. His mother takes him on holiday to indonesia where the island gets hit by the tsunami - lots of adventure and the kids always love Michael Morpurgo - alot of my Y6 read this and really responded to the text and the subject matter.

4. Not sure if you're asking for Natural Disaster books or for another suggestion for a book (I'm going for the latter!) We use a book based curriculum, so we use a book as a basis for every topic we do (I'm in Year 6 as well).
    We're starting off in September with the Refugee Boy by Benjamin Zephaniah. It's about a boy who comes to England with his dad from Ethiopia and then his dad leaves him in the country on his own. (Mum and Dad eventually die). The book is brilliant (although it does mention the word *** so we have to avoid that bit!). It tells the plight of a refugee (I think he's 11 or 12) and his time in foster care, starting a new school, being bullied and other plights. It's quite hard hitting but lends itself to some amazing writing from the children (we covered diary entries and postcards, journalistic writing and flashbacks of when the soliders stormed his house in Ethiopia).Black Hisotry month also comes up at some point during the topic so we have loads of other avenues to explore.
    Sorry if I've missed the point here and gone off on a tangent!

5. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Thanks folks! Will look into both of those.

KL

6. KnightRider

KnightRider New commenter

Wreck of the Zanzibar (Morpurgo) has an island starving due to lack of food and then a shipwreck in a storm. Are they natural disaster enough?? I've done it very successfully with less able year 6s for the fiction genre unit (did Goodnight Mr Tom when I had the top group).

7. I also agree that Running Wild is excellent [​IMG]
    I hope you dont think im cheeky here, but i teach Y6 too and have never covered the Narrative Units through a Book Study - is there any way you would send me some example planning for any of the units you've done? Id be really interested to see how you approach the unit using one text. My email is:
    c_black@live.co.uk
    I hope you dont mind me asking... Feel free to tell me to *** off :p

8. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Don't mind at all! Can't access my planning til Sunday though - have sent an email explaining!

9. Thank you for the email :)

10. bugsbunny

bugsbunny New commenter

Hello Knightrider. I've just noticed this thread and was wondering if I could be really cheeky and ask to have a look at your planning for Goodnight Mr Tom as I am thinking about doing it for our World War 2 theme. Thank you so much! lcpteach2003@yahoo.com

11. hi could i also have a copy of the goodnight Mr Tom planning? jemma.crossan@gmail.com

thanks

12. Hi, if it is possible, could I have a copy of the Goodnight Mr Tom planning?

Thank you,

liza_hyland@hotmail.com

13. Could I jump on the bandwagon as well?
    jerseyhelen@gmail.com

Enjoy the last few days of the holidays.
    Thanks

14. Your planning sounds great and just what I am thinking of doing for the start of term.

Please please could I also have a copy of your Goodnight Mister Tom planning?

Thank you so much, it is much appreciated,

scoppen21@hotmail.co.uk

15. I did Natural Disasters with Year 5 and 6 last year, and the novel we used was "Secrets of Vesuvius" by Caroline Lawrence. It was superb: four distinct characters so lots of great characterisation work. We compared the TV and book versions, and the TV episode where they escape the volcano led to some marvellous descriptive writing and poetry. Finally, they all planned and wrote their own stories about their own characters escaping the volcano's eruption. The children loved the books, and Caroline Lawrence came in to our school and did a superb talk about how to write an exciting story, which is worth arranging if you can. If not, all her writing tips (and lots of other ideas) are on her website. We then linked this work in with TV and newspaper reports and explanation writing about how volcanoes work. A great topic which I'll definitely do again!