1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book scrutiny

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stalia, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hi I have recently taken on the role of Science coordinator, I have to conduct a book scrutiny soon and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I need to look for. Also what sort of questions would you ask in a questionnaire. Thanks for your help.

2. Hi I have recently taken on the role of Science coordinator, I have to conduct a book scrutiny soon and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I need to look for. Also what sort of questions would you ask in a questionnaire. Thanks for your help.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd want to see evidence of practical work being done. So in books there should be notes relating to experiments rather than a series of question and answer exercises.

I'd ask things like: How often do your children do practical work themselves? Do your children have the chance to think and investigate? How often do they independently plan and carry out work? Do you feel you have the knowledge and training to effectively teach science? If not what would you like? Are there resources that you need to be able to teach science more effectively, no promises though?

For science, which should be practical based, I think it is more useful to go and see lessons than to look at books.