1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book recommenndations, please.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ezzie, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I'm going to be working with a very able 10 year old girl in a couple of weeks. Her reading ability is 12+ and I thought we could choose a book together and base a whole term's work around it. I usualy work with low ability children so I'm a bit out of touch with what's out there for able readers. I remember the struggle with my own children finding books to suit their ability AND their age - stuff for young teens can sometimes be a bit too 'grown up'! Could anyone kindly suggest something, please? A novel or picture book? Many thanks.

2. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Apologies - just noticed glaring spelling mistake in thread title and can't change it...:rolleyes:;)

3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The Giver. (It's the first part of a quartet)
    [​IMG]

Ezzie and sooooexcited like this.
  4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Ezzie and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

She is an able reader of 10 years old...more than capable of choosing her own book.

Ask her to do a search on Amazon and see what she comes up with.

6. mreprimary

mreprimary New commenter

Here’s my Top 100 Recommended Reads for Year 6 that include fiction, non-fiction, picture books and poetry and have been carefully considered to provide scope, depth and challenge: www.thereaderteacher.com/year6
    Hope they help you and her with suggestions!

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

What is it you want them to get/develop from them reading?