1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by May2, Feb 4, 2012.

1. May2

May2 Established commenter

We have been told we need to increase our stock of books celebrating diversity in our Foundation Stage. I wondered if anyone could recommend any. We have quite a few multicultural books such as the usual Handa's Surprise, Cleversticks etc but we need more stories that include single parent families and disabilities and showing women doing male jobs like mechanics, firefighters etc.
    Does anyone know of any good ones?

2. Lucy's picture by Nicola Moon is about a little girl who makes a picture for her blind grandad . Babette Cole Princess Smartypants challenges stereotypes. Signed stories
    http://www.signedstories.com/
    Has a wide range of stories to access with signing to accompany. The Black Book Of Colours by Menena ...
    (can't remember the surname) is wonderful. Alex's bed Mary Dickinson v old may not be in print now.

3. May2

Thanks. That is a great help for me. I am interested in the signed stories too as we are trying to promote Makaton with all our children.

4. [​IMG]
    These two spring to mind, but it's made me want to go and scour my book shelves on Monday!

5. There's a lovely book called 'Something Else' which covers equality in general, can't remember who it's by, sorry. Its the story of a lonely little creature who tries to play with the other creatures but they don't like him 'cos he's different. Eventually he meets a human boy who initially he doesn't like 'cos he (the boy) is 'different'. They then become friends and look at their differences in a positive way.

6. Mantra Lingua - dual language books.
    Tamarind books - equality and inclusion. Both have websites. The Paper Bag Princess; Through the Window; Elmer; the Enormous Turnip; Amazing Grace.

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I really like the Daisy books by Kes Gray. They're really funny, and Daisy's mum is a single parent, but that isn't hammered home. They're just entertaining stories where one of the characters happens to be a single mum.

8. May2

Many thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. I certainly have a great selection to look at.

9. Mem Fox's books - "Wombat Divine" about a wombat who can't make the grade to be what he wants to be in the school play (he's special needs), and "Tough Boris" is about a pirate who is meant to be tough following the stereotype, but isn't. If you hear the CD, which is a compilation of several of her stories, you'll completely understand how she delivers the true meaning. She is a first rate and clever author. Must say, I do love Babette Cole too.