1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book recommendations please

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Tildabe, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Tildabe

Tildabe New commenter

Pretty much as title ^^^
    I stumbled across "The Elephant in
    the Classroom" at a mates yesterday and it made me stop and think about
    how I teach maths and just how much I could improve my maths lessons.
    So
    being keen I went to buy my own copy and in the process stumbled across
    loads of other books which, based on their blurbs, look like they could
    be fabulous reads! However, books aren't cheap and as an NQT while I am
    always looking for opportunities to improve my practice I equally don't
    want to be wasting money either!
    The sort of things which stood out were books which
    • discuss misconceptions
    • provided "fun" and interactive activity ideas
    • have a range of starter activities
    • promote mixed ability work/ideas to enable all children to both access learning and be challenged by it
    • provide ideas and activities/planning suggestions for teachers who do not use text books and avoid worksheets at all costs!
    • ideas and questions to encourage deeper mathematical thinking and understanding
    ... I hope you get the idea [​IMG]
    (I teach a mixed age KS2 class but am secondary maths trained so appreciate that many books are applicable to primary as well as secondary)

2. mathman64

mathman64 New commenter

The elephant in the classroom is a good read and Boaler makes many excellent points.
    I think that Prestage and Perks is a must read for any mathematics practitioner, "Adapting and Extending Secondary Mathematics Activities: New Tasks for Old".
    These look at mathematics teaching from different viewpoints, one is more philosophical and one is more practical. However it is impossible to disentangle these ideas completely.
    I agree with the previous poster on the work by Swan et al.
    There is a large amount written on mathematics teaching and posters to this site will have very different views. Personally I find myself drawn to the ideas of the following authors: Anne Watson, John Mason, Sue Johnston Wilder, Mike Ollerton.
    I also believe that the work of Carole Dweck offers us a fresh insight into what motivates learners particularly in mathematics.
    The Journals of the Subject Associations also offer lots worth reading.

3. I would agree totally with the Prestage and Perks book. It is beautifully written and contains many excellent ideas. It's very practical and highly recommended. It also has an interesting and not at at complimentary critique of work like that of CIMT.