1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

book recommendation

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by newmummy1, May 10, 2018.

1. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Hello, Can anyone recommend an easy to digest 'dummies' guide for new heads of department?

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

The best thing to do is make sure there is a good hand over from the previous HoD and that you bring into play all the skills and do’s and don’ts you have distilled from watching other HoDs.
    Some aspects of the job will be the same for any HoD, others may be peculiar to your subject. Is there an experienced HoD whom you respect whom you could talk to or go to for guidance or advice if needed?

3. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

The HOD pocketbook was an easy read (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-Depar...sr=8-1&keywords=pocketbook+head+of+department). There's another book that I thought was pretty good, but can't remember the name - if I can find it then I'll post it.

To be honest, I suspect that being a HOD is very different from school to school, and there's much more value in getting an informal mentor who knows the systems and the school calendar than in reading books about generic schools and departments - totally agree with ViolaClef above.

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I agree with the above. Good luck!

5. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

6. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Is there an experienced HoD whom you respect whom you could talk to or go to for guidance or advice if needed?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately not as it is a brand new role. It's actually head of faculty!

7. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Ok, but are there no other HoD/Heads of Faculty in the school that you could talk to?

8. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

I think I've found the book I mentioned in my earlier post - it's this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Middle...=8-1&keywords=the+new+middle+leaders+handbook

The other thing that's worth doing (especially at this time of year when exam classes are on study leave) is to visit HODs of your subject at other schools - I've been doing this and there's a lot to learn from other settings (even if it's just things that you DON'T want to do!)

9. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Starting a HoD post in September. Ordered the book. Good gravy, there's some odd stuff in there. A whole series of pages on "building rapport" which essentially tells you to act like a serial killer, analysing people's body language and word choices in order to mirror them and lead them. Weird.

That's in the first few chapters. Hope it gets slightly more normal later!

10. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

This one is much better in my opinion. Just got in on my e-book reader and it's far less sociopathically patronising than the first one.

11. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

I suspect I just flicked over those pages without registering the content - I did quite a bit of selective reading!

12. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Agreed, but you need to make sure you know school system and have the support of alt...what do they want from the department?