1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book/movie set in the future?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Milgod, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Now, I know how wise everyone on the Primary Forum is, so I thought I would ask for your help.

We are looking to plan a 'mini-topic' based around a book (or movie). As we are already looking at the future (designing a town for the future/environment) I thought it would be good to use a book/movie set in the future.

So, can anyone think of any good ideas? Possibly linked to the environment going to pot.

I have thought about City of Ember, but I have only seen the film so not sure if the book is suitable. Also, WALL-E could be good fun.

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Milgod

Now, I know how wise everyone on the Primary Forum is, so I thought I would ask for your help.

We are looking to plan a 'mini-topic' based around a book (or movie). As we are already looking at the future (designing a town for the future/environment) I thought it would be good to use a book/movie set in the future.

So, can anyone think of any good ideas? Possibly linked to the environment going to pot.

I have thought about City of Ember, but I have only seen the film so not sure if the book is suitable. Also, WALL-E could be good fun.

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wall-E would be good and there's another one called Robots which might be useful. Has Antz got any links with environmental issues?
    Depends on the age range of the children but for older children there used to be a TV series called the Tomorow people.
    Will have a ponder and see if I can think of something.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Philip Reeve - Mortal Engines.
    Mad Max meets Charles Dickens. Hilarious and rip-roaring.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mortal-Engines-Quartet/dp/0439979439/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323268608&sr=1-1

William Nicholson - The Wind Singer
    Not future so much as dystopic fantasy set in the very distant future. Highly satirical (reminiscent of Nineteen Eighty-Four) and very engaging indeed.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wind-Singer-Fire-Trilogy/dp/1405239697/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323268709&sr=1-1

Both brilliant books. Suitable for a brighter Y6 class.

I've heard good things about Frank Cottrell-Boyce's Cosmic, but the class I once tried to read it to weren't keen so we didn't finish it.

I also loved this trilogy as a child, as well as the BBC adaptation:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tripods-Boxed-Set-John-Christopher/dp/0689027737
    Pretty sure it would still be suitable for upper KS2 children.

5. Milgod

Cheers for the ideas. I'll check some of those out.