1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book idea for Year 6 to fit food themed whole school topic

Discussion in 'English' started by TeacherNorth, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I have a very bright Year 6 class with mainly boys and need an idea for a book that will keep them engaged through SATs revision of recounts, reports and persuasive writing. During the half term between Feb and Easter my school has a whole school food topic which I need to match the book to. I am really struggling for ideas and would appreciate any tips. I keep coming back to a Roald Dahl (e.g. Charlie and Chocolate factory) but I think they would be too easy for the curent bunch that I have. Please help!

Thank you.

2. I have a very bright Year 6 class with mainly boys and need an idea for a book that will keep them engaged through SATs revision of recounts, reports and persuasive writing. During the half term between Feb and Easter my school has a whole school food topic which I need to match the book to. I am really struggling for ideas and would appreciate any tips. I keep coming back to a Roald Dahl (e.g. Charlie and Chocolate factory) but I think they would be too easy for the curent bunch that I have. Please help!

Thank you.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I haven't read these myself, but they seem to fit the bill. They are about survival skills - finding food etc and should appeal to good Y6 boys:
    My side of the Mountain - Jean George
    Hatchet - Gary Pulson
    and just for fun:
    Never Take a Pig to Lunch: and other poems about the fun of eating - Nadine Bernard Westcott. This is a collection of poems by many poets - may be useful as a starting point for whole class activities.