1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book for whole school theme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Miss Mc, Aug 6, 2015.

1. I am after inspiration. I need an amazing picture book which we can use for a whole school week long unit. Any ideas? Thank you!!

2. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick

by Chris Van Allsburg

Stunning and so much potential!

3. Flapwell

Flapwell New commenter

Not sure of your age group but for KS1 The Bad Tempered Ladybird by Eric Carle has alot of cross curricular potential: Maths time:pHSE bullying, confidence. English drama starting with choral reading in groups, speech and punctuatuation of speech; using the style of an author to create a story anototated or voice overed storyboard; could replace characters Art masks for drama collage, good U Tube clip on Eric Carle here; Science minibeasts to interdependence; ICT databases. Must be far more things you could do. and is easy to dfferentiiate.There are many online ideas.

4. Flapwell

Flapwell New commenter

Not a picture book but there is a very good u tube clip of the whole book.

5. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

Not sure you read the original post properly :)

Some of the Shaun Tan books are very good, but I don't know how well they'd work for younger year groups. It's actually quite a tall order, really. Surprisingly so.

6. Thank you. Love both Harris burdick and Shaun tan. Have used these with y6 before.

7. intime

intime New commenter

Tuesday by David Wiesner. Youtube links to the book too. Have done this whole school, yr 1 to 6.

8. intime

intime New commenter