1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book character who is a soldier

Discussion in 'Primary' started by justplaintired, Feb 24, 2011.

1. We are dressing up for World Book Day - and I have a red soldier top and hat - but now need the character to go with it! It is definistely not a WW1 or 2 sort of character - and I don't want to be one that dies in the book! Any ideas, all I can think of is theTin Soldier.

2. We are dressing up for World Book Day - and I have a red soldier top and hat - but now need the character to go with it! It is definistely not a WW1 or 2 sort of character - and I don't want to be one that dies in the book! Any ideas, all I can think of is theTin Soldier.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Isn't there a toy soldier in Noddy?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldier-Stories-Blytons-Popular-Rewards/dp/0861638522

is another one.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As the 'red uniform' was fairly common during Geirgian & Victorian period what about one of the soldiers in Dickens, Jane Austen, Hardy etc?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Forgot paragraphs don't work automatically any more for me, sorry. Trying again...

Isn't there a toy soldier in Noddy?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldier-Stories-Blytons-Popular-Rewards/dp/0861638522

Is another one.

6. QFE

QFE New commenter

The only one I can think of is Richard Sharpe, in the books before he became an officer. Not sure if that's OK for Primary though!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sharpe was an 85th Rifleman & mostly wore a GREEN uniform.

8. How about The Nutcracker from the story by E.T.A Hoffman?

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Brilliant idea! You could be Colonel Brandon from Sense and Sensibility and carry a book of poetry and read it as and when a child appears...

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Flashman, from the books by George MacDonald Fraser.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yup - he wore red.
    And he didn't die in the books either. Far from it!

[​IMG]

12. The Steadfast Tin Soldier in Hans Christian Anderson's classic tale. What a cracker!

13. Some great ideas - love the idea of reading poetry to every child I meet! Flashman - hmmmm not quite sure is appropriate for primary but brilliant I must say. Think it will have to be either the Nutcracker or the Steadfast Tin Soldier - but any more ideas more than welcome....