1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book based transistion week, Dear Greenpeace.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 0612692, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Anyone :(

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

3. This is a lovely stroy about a girl who is convinced she has a whale in her backgarden in her pond so she writes a letter to green peace for advice - the book being a series of letters from green peace and the girl. Loads of ideas - size,weight, volume related maths, letter/postcard writing, non fiction related books around whales and what they need to survive (good fo the boys!), loads of vocabulary building (migratory). Could do a guide for looking after whales (there's a bit where she adds salt to her pond water because green peace say whales live in salty sea water). PSED: making people welcome, looking after living things, saying goodbye, telling the truth.
    Also with the recent BBC planet earth, there was some great footage of whales migrating to Alsaka and being attacked by killer whales. Hope it goes well!

4. Thanks for all the idea, feel a bit more enthusiastic about starting to plan something now :)

5. This would be a great book to make links to sustainability and what Green Peace do.
    You could try some of these sustainability lessons and ideas:
    http://www.gogivers.org/teachers/lessons/ks-1/theme/sustainability/
    http://www.gogivers.org/teachers/lessons/ks-2/theme/sustainability/
    A few years ago I did a lovely weeks work on This Morning I Met a Whale by Michael Morpurgo where we made films using digiblue cameras and created setting for the film etc. The children absolutely loved it and wrote amazing stories about the whale in the Thames after it.

6. I meant to say you could make films of your book too. I hope I was clear!