1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book Banding- Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'English' started by bettyhen, Feb 2, 2010.

1. The primary forum is more use for this sort of stuff butI happen to have a list of book bands for the min reading schemes because my son is in Y1. Post your email address and I will send it to you.

2. I have posted on there too as I wasnt sure which would be best but thankyou. emsical@hotmail.co.uk

3. Sent!

4. Hi,

I found your message and was wondering how you got on with the book banding. I have just recently been asked to band the books in our school and as you said I have the info for the reading schemes but have boxes and boxes of books from the class libraries and have to band them too. It is an impossible task if I have to take each book individually and match it against the criteria. I have been searching online for book lists but the reading schemes are the only ones that come up. It could take me years! I have the help of one of the assistants and only a couple of days to get this done and wondered if you had any tips? Thanks in advance!

Gemma

5. There is no hard and fast criteria used to band books, just the opinions of reading recovery teachers worldwide, making it a very arbtrary method. As you work in the infants how about trying to group your reading scheme books in terms of the level of alphabetic code knowledge required to read them? Like me I guess most of your books will be old look and guess stuff such as the old ORT. It is a very worthwhile excercise to get rid of all these books.