1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book bags!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by acceb, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    In my class (year 1 & 2 ), I have a real problem with book bags! The children's pegs are in the classroom and are not suitable for coats, pe kits, book bags and all the other rubbish they seem to come in with!

I have 2 very large boxes for children to put their book bags into. This is fine until someone needs to hear a child read. The children take forever to find their bags, they throw them on the floor and leave them open so that all the contents fall out.

We do not have trays or lots of space for more boxes. So what I am asking is;

Does anyone have any tried and tested ideas for organising reading books/ reading record books and to save my sanity at the same time??

Thanks Acceb

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Mine put their book bags in their drawers. Which possibly doesn't help you.

PE kits are in a couple of very large tubs in a corner of the room.

Can you swap so that PE kits go in the boxes and book bags on pegs?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Here's what I used to do in Yr 1. It worked very well:
    Each table had an upright holder in clear plastic. Children were trained to put their reading books and pact books in the holder as part of the coming-into-class routine. So, a table with six children should have held six books, and it only took a second or two to work out which, if any, was missing. At the time I did this, books were changed every day, and the TA spent a ridiculous amount of time sorting through bookbags. I came up with this when I'd been driven to distraction by the wasted time involved.
    Give it a go,

4. I had a box for every group. I did have a big classroom so storage was not an issue. There were 5 groups and 5 boxes. I remember it worked well and every child was able to find their book quickly.

Sorry just read your post again and you say storage is an issue so this is no help at all - sorry!!

5. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

This year I have 2 boxes, labelled - 'I need to change my book' & 'I need more time to finish reading my book'. It doesn't help find an individuals book (although hopefully they know which box they put it in that morning) but it does help identify children who need to change their book or read with an adult, particuarly at the start of the week when no one has had a 1 to 1 read or changed their book yet that week.

6. Some of my kids have tied a ribbon or little keyring on the handle of their bookbags so they can find it easily in the box... could you make something like that in class?
    We also have the 2 boxes like clawthorpe girl (red and green boxes) so at least if someone is changing the books they don't have to sort through and find the ones that need changing.

7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

We have two boxes - "books to change" and "books to keep". When they come in the children must take their reading book out of their book bag, and two children bring the boxes round and ensure everyone has handed their book in. This is so much easier than the TA fiddling through book bags, and allows the children to take responsibility for how often to change their reading book.

8. Hi, Thank you for some great ideas. Will try them out over the next few weeks.
    Acceb :)