1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Book about the funny things children say in school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sir Cumference, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

I’m sure that, in your staff room, you often tell each other about the funny things that children have said. It’s always good to share anecdotes and of course it’s good for morale too, in a way that celebrates childhood.

You may also have heard staff say ‘We really should write down the funny things children say: it would make a good book’. Over the forty years I was a teacher I’m sure I said it myself but, of course, like all others I was always so busy and never got round to writing the anecdotes down. Now, in my retirement, I’m offering to collect your anecdotes and put them into a self-published book for all teachers and anyone else to enjoy.

So – how about it? Could you find a moment to email an anecdote or two to me, so I might put together a unique collection?

I’m confident that, if I receive sufficient responses, I can put together a book and publish it early next year. I have lots of experience of publishing, being a writer and publisher of music for schools (see www.onemoretime.biz) and also self-publishing a book of my own stories and poems (see https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speak-Angels-Stories-Brian-Beresford/dp/1533121478)

Here are a few of the ground rules I ask you to follow, please:

· Articles must be true, celebrating childhood

· DO NOT USE REAL NAMES. Make up names of anyone involved in an anecdote so there can be no embarrassment/complaint/comeback to you or me. Similarly, do not name the school involved

· They should be submitted as a finished anecdote, although I reserve the right to make changes in order to maintain some consistency throughout the collection

· Aim to be brief (see my attached examples for suggested length). Anything over 250 words might be too long, depending on content. Anything very short might be great!

· I will list the names of all contributors in alphabetical order in the introduction section of the book. Names of contributors will not be attributed to anecdotes. Please let me know if you do not wish your name to appear and I will add ‘Anonymous’ to the list instead.

· Items must be emailed to me at oldclosebook@gmail.com by 31 December 2019

· When submitting anything to be considered for inclusion in the book, the following section (here in bold) must be cut and pasted to the top of your anecdote(s). This is important for reasons such as privacy, child protection and GDPR

My name:

My email address:

The following anecdotes are, as far as I can recall, true stories. The real names of children, adults and the school itself are not used: they have been changed in order that the identities of all involved are not revealed.

Of course, I do not know how many responses I will receive, and I will select content from your contributions. I will let you know in advance of publication whether or not your contribution is to be included in the book. I will not to use private email addresses for any purpose other than in connection with this project.

I hope you decide to write something and to send it to me – this could be fun for us all!

Thank you

Brian Beresford

Formerly teacher/headteacher in North Yorkshire & Lancashire Primary Schools

2. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

Many thanks for great contributions sent. Please send more!

Incidentally, I'm not making any money out of this, in fact I'm taking all 'risks' myself.