1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bonkers things cats do

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

[​IMG]

Marshall, sodalime, lanokia and 2 others like this.
  2. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

My Charlie now sadly departed , had another home and all I knew about the lady that used to talk to me about him was that she lived at number 17 in the same street !
    She found him on his first visit in the kitchen and she was puzzled as the back door was tricky to open . He apparently nudged it and strolled in as if to say well this will do .
    On another occasion he decided to help himself to the big bag of Iams that you can get . He pawed at the bag opened it and the lady from number 17 found my Charlie" two tums" ( because I'd just fed him) with his head deep in the bag munching very happily thank you very much .She was too soft and didn't tell him off and in the end had to keep the bag in a locked cupboard as he thwarted her every move to keep him out the bag. Her other cat loved Charlie as well and they would often keep her company for the evening then he'd return to me for the night !
    One night he managed to snaffle the hamster. ...but that is a very different story .
    My Son ( who was six at the time ) but now a grown man is still upset about this and after the incident always checked to see who exactly was hiding behind his curtains, BEFORE he took a hamster to cuddle and always put the hamster to bed and made sure everything was secure and that Charlie had no access to the cage or bedroom ! That's all I'm saying.

sodalime, lanokia, towncryer and 2 others like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes... if he rolls out in the summer sun and I go to tickle his belly then yes, he'll go for a scratch.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So that I was deliberately antagonising him might work against me?

primarycat likes this.
  5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

You may need to rethink your life choices.

I've had to bathe my fluffy demon. Ever had a cat claw its way up your front, over your head with deep claws into your scalp and then down your back?

I don't really recommend it.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Nope not doing that.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster... and a missing eyeball ... or another kind of ball.

primarycat and (deleted member) like this.
  7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Here's a new toy sold for cats. I'll let everyone decide for themselves how successful it is. (I think the small cat is just the right size)

8. primarycat

Wise choice. I squawked a lot. But she needed more of a clean than she could do herself.

Won't rush to repeat it.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's one of the plus points of cats is they are self-cleaning.

Ivartheboneless and primarycat like this.
  10. primarycat

I wish mine reliably was. I'll get a short haired version next time around.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just thought of a negative point ... hairballs that they hack up ...

primarycat likes this.
  12. primarycat

Oh that weird blethering sound that they make when they are trying to bring up a hairball or regurgitate a munched frog onto an album cover that might be lying on the floor. Totally not an experience that I'm still bitter and twisted about.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Me diving for the cleaning product to try and keep the cream coloured carpet clean.

primarycat likes this.
  14. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Why do they stare at things that aren't there? It's very creepy - most particularly when you're up changing a nappy/doing a night feed in the early hours. Both of mine will sit for ages and stare into the exact same space.

One of them also loves to sit/lie/drape herself on my chest which is all well and good but I'd rather she didn't attempt it whilst the baby's attached.

sodalime likes this.
  15. Duke of York

upload_2019-12-6_23-27-35.jpeg

Did you know your guitar is out of tuna?​

16. Duke of York

[​IMG]
    At the cat art gallery.​

sodalime, BertieBassett2 and lanokia like this.
  17. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I have two cats and they never used to do that until we moved to this house. Initially I thought they could hear mice in the walls. But as time has gone on and I've studied their behaviour more, they are always staring quite fixedly at a point in space (usually an open doorway) about 6 foot off the ground. And their ears don't switch to forward facing mode, which means they are indeed looking at something, rather than listening to something. Which brings me on to what happened 3 mornings ago.

Are you sitting comfortably?

I don't close internal doors in the house cos cats hate closed doors. One door is quite stiff and sits low on its hinges and therefore it requires dragging across the carpet in order to open or close it. It takes some effort to haul it closed. I just leave it jammed open, stuck on the carpet. I heard Cat1 growling and making weird noises somewhere in the house. I assumed cat2 was in and they were starting up their argy bargy. I walked down the hall looking for them and cat1 came running out of the spare room . . . and the jammed open door simply closed behind him. My first thought was that cat2 was in that room and had somehow managed to close the door. I opened the door and looked into the room. Nothing there. Cat2 eventually appeared back in the house about 45 mins later and had been out all morning.

Later on that day: I have a heavy wall hanging thing that I drape across a doorway so that I can keep the heat in without actually closing the door. Both cats were asleep on my bed in another part of the house. There was no wind outside. The wall hanging suddenly jerked to one side and then returned to normal. I got up to see if one of the cats had woken up and crept through to where the hanging is. Nope.

18. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I don't close internal doors in the house cos cats hate closed doors.

I do close doors to keep the heat in.

All my cats (3 of them) believe in pushing the doors as hard as they can to open them. Why can't they just push their way through the little gap?

19. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

and why do they think scratching the carpet up by the door is going to help?

Marshall likes this.
  20. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

From reading about moggy behaviours & quirks in many of these posts it’s clear that one of my dogs definitely identifies as a cat.

Marshall and Norsemaid like this.