1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bonkers things cats do

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

2. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

Years ago, we had a cat that used to bring its toy mouse for us to throw down the hallway so it could charge after it, retrieve it and drop it at our feet.

3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

My old Siamese cat used to retrieve scrunched up paper and bring it back to be thrown again. He was very clever - he learnt to check above his line of sight to see if it had landed on a chair.

He could also open the fridge and the bread bin. I came home once to find he'd dragged out bread and paté for himself.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Try this if you have any sticky tape that contrasts with your carpet.

[​IMG]

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I just got home from picking Grandson 1 up from school (his mother is not well) and he came out from his favourite lurking spot and gave me a dirty look. A cat treat stick soon had him purring. Luckily he is happy with Aldi stuff which is cheap.

sodalime and primarycat like this.
  6. Corvuscorax

Does anybody else have a cat that uses them as a bridge to get from one side of the bath to the other, when they are just trying to have a peaceful soak, and it would be just as quick to go around?

sodalime likes this.
  7. loranp

loranp New commenter

I have yet to own (be owned by?) a cat, but I used to foster cats from a local animal rescue. My favourite one was a kitten who liked to lie across my shoulders/around my neck when I sat on the sofa, so that I would be essentially wearing him like a scarf.

This was a few years ago and I still wish that I had been able to adopt him permanently. He couldn't meow either, it came out like a very hoarse croak, but he would trill like a bird whenever he was engaged in mischief (often). I wondered whether he was just born unable to meow, or whether it was to do with the fact that he had been a stray during a long period of very sub-zero weather, as he had a cat cold when I first had him.

My Jack Russell cross is also very fond of stealing my slippers and socks at any given opportunity. This thread is making me seriously consider if he would tolerate a cat sibling.

sodalime and 7eleven like this.
  8. Duke of York

We got our cat as a kitten when we lived in a rural part of Kent and had an infestation of mice. The mice immediately disappeared, but the kitten could tell they'd been around. For some odd reason, he decided to keep checking under the kitchen cupboards, to which he found he could get access by pulling down the kickboard under the cupboard.

After we moved to Hampshire, he was doing it again, but the weird thing here, is I haven't the foggiest idea how he manages it since these kickboards have very strong clips to keep them in place. I got into the habit of replacing the kick board under the sink on a daily basis, then one day the inevitable happened, when we lost him, only to find he'd gone under the cupboard and got trapped after I'd put the kickboard back. It was the devil's own job for me to remove the kickboard to free him.

sodalime, jellycowfish and 7eleven like this.
  9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Our cats, mother and daughter, were inordinately fond of poppadoms. The merest hint of breaking poppadom would have them scurrying to the table, Crumbs were tossed for them, which they fell upon with delight.

Long gone now unfortunately.

sodalime likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I have 12 scratches of various depth on my right arm at the moment... a result of VampireKat deciding to show his love for my arm.

sodalime and Ivartheboneless like this.
  11. Duke of York

12. Corvuscorax

:eek:

12! all 4 legs, or both front legs twice?

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Both front legs and teeth... he sort of wrapped himself around my arm and tried to show his deep abiding love for me...

sodalime likes this.
  14. primarycat

Ouch.

My one does that kind of thing too. I've learnt to read the signs and back away when needed...

sodalime and lanokia like this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I get the odd scratch on my hand. His claws are very sharp. Do all cats do the grab and bite thing if you try to tickle their tum (like you would with a dog)? I think it is the killer instinct, but it doesn't really hurt.

sodalime and lanokia like this.
  16. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Thank you. That’s exactly what my friend, who is a pet sitter, has just told me. I have a plug in, but have just ordered a spray. He’s been under my bed all day, whilst scaffolding has been taken down. I’m just going to tempt him out with some tuna, so I can look at his big, bald patch. It was bleeding last night. Vets tomorrow I think.

sodalime and primarycat like this.
  17. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Of course, it must be remembered that historically cats learn to kill from a very young age.

And when they grow up they become remorseless killers.

Laphroig, sodalime and lanokia like this.
  18. primarycat

Yes - they are protecting their soft underbellies.

19. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

My sister’s friend lost his new rescue kitten somewhere in the house, and looked everywhere without success. Until he opened the fridge door to get something and the kitten was sitting on the shelf :D

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ahh yes - ours has several soft balls which were bobbles hanging from bootee type slippers ? There are 4 but he will only play with the filthiest one . He drops it at your feet / in the bedroom / bathroom telling you it’s time to play - you throw it for him
    and he brings it back in his mouth . Agree about the charging round the house but to retrieve- like F1 - soooo cute