1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bonding with class

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by oneinamil, Oct 17, 2015.

1. oneinamil

oneinamil New commenter

Hello all,

I'm finding it quite hard to bond with my class. I have 29 children, most who are lovely but a few who can be pains in the backside. I feel like I need to bond much more with my class as a whole, especially my troublesome children. Does anyone have any advice for me please?

Additionally, I had a pupil (who can have some anger issues) have a fight with a child with SEN and was wondering if anyone had any advice - I had a chat with him about the choices to be made, where he seemed to realise his wrong. But he seemed less apologetic when speaking to his brother after school. How do others respond when any of their children fight? I feel like I should have come down much harder

Any help is much appreciated

2. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Sod bonding, teach 'em stuff.

Sod chatting, punish the little sod for fighting.

I find children respect clear boundaries and expectations more than any happy-clappy teambuilding nonsense.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Read Taking Care of Behaviour by Paul Dix. In it you will find strategies for managing behaviour and building relationships with students. Buy it today on Amazon. It will be one of the best £15 you will spend.

varcolac is correct: once you are able to establish your authority in the class with clear boundaries and expectations, the rapport with the class will follow.

varcolac likes this.
  4. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Some people will say relationships come first. I don't agree. Your aim is to create a safe environment where children can learn.
    Steps for great relationships: firm but fair behaviour management, help the children succeed and praise them when they do great work. The relationship develops over time after the basics are established. But then I'm quite old-school

DYNAMO67, Ally46, wanet and 1 other person like this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Utilise the school's code of conduct . Children need consistency. Don't dislike the child dislike the behaviour - fundamental stuff. Actually you are not there to like / approve of anything / anyone but there to be a good role model and teach / impart knowledge / aid independence / a love of learning blah blah .Yes I think relationships are important but because 'good' ones are about trust and yes they take time. Don't overthink things - the student involved in the fracas said what you expected to hear ( ie an apology ) - very unlikely he will adopt the same approach with his brother !

6. Ally46

Ally46 New commenter

I think me and the children are communicate and having this connection when a new teacher join. I thought the class I am going to work with were going to be terrible but actually they were fantastic!!

7. Ally46

Ally46 New commenter

nice advise

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Bonding - Schmonding!

Just be a great teacher, you are not their friend and do not need to bond with them.
    However by being a good teacher/adult/role model who is clearly and unequivocally 'in charge' the bonding just sort of comes.

Work on your teaching skills and let bonding come as it will.

9. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I agree with what some people say here. You are overthinking things, particularly as you appear to be a primary teacher. I am not sure what exactly you are looking for. What sort of relationship do you want?

Agree with the above. Do the teaching well and everything else will follow. I teach secondary so have multiple classes. Some classes just work. My favourite was a Y11 and Y9 class at my last place. They were good kids, enjoyed the way i taught and were hard working. The atmosphere was good, and you could be more laid back with them because everyone knew where they were.

Other classes I have less enjoyed teaching. Nothing to do with attainment or behaviour, you just don't click. Had a nice Y8 class like that. Good kids, but very quiet, hard work in discussion etc. I probably wasn't their favourite teacher, but it is just the way it is.

moral of the story is good relationships are nice, but not imperative. Good teaching is.

10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Agree totaly. Just teach well. That is what you are paid for.