1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bojo digs himself a pit and falls in?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Dec 4, 2018.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I've just watched live, Bojo speaking in the Brexit Withdrawal Bill. It remains to be seen how it will be shown as a sound bite on any news casts but I thought he was rambling, stumbling and incoherant and I think I may have actually watched the final and long awaited demise of hisself. He got more barracking from the Tories around him than from the opposition. There was a Tory sitting right behind him who was barracking mumbling in his ear all the way through and it appears to have gotten to Boris on a couple of occasions when he turned around to gesticulate at him and complain of his "chuntering". There were cheers whenever he gave way for a question or point intervention and the chamber slowly emptied as he spoke but still with continual barracking of the Tory yesterday man.

He certainly showed no oratory skills or even at times made much sense to me. A performance, I hope, that sees the end of any thoughts of him as a future Tory party leader. He lost volume, coherence of speech and apparently any desire to be there making a speech. He was repeatedly interrupted to be asked if he was complaining about May's proposals, then what did he propose in their place. To loud jeering from both sides of the House it became obvious he had no answer.

It was pointed out several times that he was one of the major causes of the present Brexit mess and his failure at Foreign Secretary.

This is the man who is touted as one of the favourites to become Tory leader!? A man who has little oratory skills or working abilities.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Not having listened to to what you did, I can't comment, other than to say your account of it sounds more plausible than anything the tabloids might publish tomorrow.

The art of persuasion by oratory was lost when politicians were trained to make the most of the sound bite. The art of persuasion through sensible debate ended when Thatcher came to power and the party machine stepped in to control what politicians could say.

Politicians like Tony Benn and Michael Foot, even Barbara Castle, not only had the conviction behind their politics, they had the wherewithal and intellect to debate them. It matters little for the purposes of this debate whether anyone agrees with the political stances they took, but what ought to bother everyone is that it's no longer possible for a member of any party to adopt such a debating style.

3. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

No serious political commentator has thought that for years. His colleagues regard him as a clown, as the rest of us do.

TCSC47 likes this.
  4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I think you would have enjoyed Margaret Becket speaking in the following debate on the Brexit proposal plans. A breath of fresh air!

Alice K likes this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Boris Johnson being appointed Foreign Secretary was the worst appointment to a senior positions since... Caligula, allegedly, said he'd make his horse a consul (& did make him a priest...) ;)

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

But it has had the huge advantage of ensuring that Johnson will never be elected party leader after such a demonstration of incompetence.

TCSC47 likes this.
  7. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I watched the debate until about half way through Boris's speech and then I had to switch off ...it was so awful. I hate to say this but of the three speakers, May, Corbyn and Johnson..May's came out the most coherent and reasonable. What does that say about our chances of getting through this Brexit mess in one piece?

TCSC47 and nomad like this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Caligula may have made a priest out of a horse but Theresa may certainly made a foreign secretary out of an ass.

9. towncryer

Can we be sure about that? Incompetence seems to be a key feature of the current government and nobody seems to mind.

TCSC47 and sparkleghirl like this.
  10. towncryer

At least no one in our government.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I Watched Boris in the series on TV about the Foreign Office. There he also came over as incompetent, failed to stay on the task asked for by the advisor and rambled on in the speeches shown about items and illustrations which I personally did not show a lot of talent.
    Yet, he is clever, cannot be underestimated and can rouse the rabble on occasions. He is a force if he can get his act together. However, I would not want him as a leader, God forbid.

TCSC47 likes this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

An absolute buffoon! Next career move - starring in the reboot of Children's TV programme Worzel Gummidge.

upload_2018-12-5_14-3-53.png

TCSC47, towncryer and Weald56 like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I suspect that as a serious political figure he is done and dusted.

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Be careful what you wish for...…

He was touted as a possible leader of the Tories (and therefore the country) because the Conservatives looked at Theresa (and David Cameron) and thought
    *There must be someone better than this waste of space...….errrmmmm." and he was one of the better ones of the bad jobs.

So given that May is spiralling down even faster and Boris, Andrea, Chris and Jeremy have all shown their vast levels of incompetence...…….

Step Forward Michael Gove.

15. towncryer

We're doomed!

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

And when he put himself forward, more than two years ago, Boris couldn't even raise enough support to get on the short list. Since then his status among his colleagues has gone down still further. Larry the Downing Street cat would stand more chance if there should be a leadership contest. Boris is only there to fill column inches and raise a laugh or two on slow news days - he is not a serious contender for the leadership.

TCSC47, towncryer and JohnJCazorla like this.
  17. towncryer

I very much hope you are right about this.

TCSC47 likes this.
  18. towncryer

I don't understand why there are so few members of parliament present for these debates. Especially given how important this vote is going to.

TCSC47 likes this.
  19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's tempting to say that they (like us) have heard it all before. Given that nobody thinks there will be a majority in favour of the Withdrawal Agreeement next week, they are only going through the motions until then.

Rather more fairly, there are numerous general committee meetings, select committee meetings, and joint committee meetings going on throughout today, plus five Westminster Hall debates on subjects ranging from the Future of free schools and academies in England to the Gender Pay Gap. Some MPs may be having meetings with their constituents, others - of course - with the sommelier of the Members' Dining Room. ;)

JohnJCazorla, Alice K and towncryer like this.
  20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The outcome of that could be interesting.....