1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bogus HMIe Report

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Flyonthewall75, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

2. In the name of god, *** is going on in these councils?
    If you or I were like this we'd be sacked pronto, and rightly so.
    Incredible. Depressing.

3. And, surely, criminal?

4. Surely this council is going to get its a-ss sued off it something awful?
    Surely councils have SOPs to prevent this sort of situation?
    Surely the person responsible for this fiasco (and what's the odds no-one will be held accountable?) should have attempted to contact the - alleged - author of the report for some verbal feedback?
    Or, am I just being stoooopid?

5. And deservedly so if the newspaper report is accurate. Too many tin-pot career chasers at the top who think they are above the law, I suspect.
    I also suspect that, if this case reaches its obvious conclusion, it will be the catalyst for some far-reaching changes by the SG. It's time the dead wood at the top of the education tree was trimmed - maybe a revamp in similar fashion to that mooted for the Police.
    Perhaps then we could afford to give the kids pencils to write with and paper to write on.[​IMG]

6. Flyonthewall75

Sadly this would not be the first time that senior officers in a LA have created bogus evidence to undermine an employee and force them into retirement.
    All the policies and procedures in the world count for little if the employer only pays lip-service to them, and an employee's union may be wary of implicating very senior council officers in potential illegality and opening up a 'can of worms'. That doesn't mean a union will not, under other circumstances, fully support a union member and it will be interesting to see how this case plays out, with or without union support.
    I note that the councillor involved has referred the matter to the chief exective for investigation. How open and independent that investigation turns out to be remains to be seen. It won't be the first time that there has been a 'whitewash' to cover up LA wrongdoing.
    Legal action against an employer can be extremely costly and taking the matter to an employment tribunal, even with union support, can be extremely stressful with limited compensation if successful.
    I only hope there will be a just outcome.

7. Is it clear where this bogus report came from?

8. Flyonthewall75

It doesn't appear to have come from anywhere because apparently it doesn't exist.
    "A council briefing paper on Ms Gibson's early retirement leaked to the Evening News states that her performance came under fire in the HMIe report following a visit in February 2009."
    Someone in a senior position must have written that briefing paper and yet HMIe has confirmed that the most up to date inspection report available for Burnhouse School was published on October 31, 2006.
    How strange!

9. I hear that a concerned citizen has reported the matter to the Chief Constable. It will be interesting to see if McKnacker decides to get involved!