1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bodyguards leaving guns on planes.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Sep 19, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54216511

Dominic Raab's bodyguard has been "removed from operational duties" after allegedly leaving his gun on a plane at Heathrow.

A cleaner is reported to have found the loaded Glock 19 pistol in its holster on a seat on the United Airlines flight after it landed in London on Friday.

It happened with Cameron as well. No doubt the next thing we will hear about is Rees Mogg's bodyguard leaving a loaded flintlock in a Hansom cab.

Can anyone answer a simple question? How do these guns get through airport security and why aren't they tracked from destination to destination? I sort of half get the idea that senior politicians need armed bodyguards, what I don't get is how they can be so lax with keeping track of the guns. Is it only senior politicians' bodyguards who are able to take guns onto planes? What about the likes of Jeff Bezos' bodyguards?

emerald52 and jubilee like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You would have thought he might notice it was missing.

Sally006 likes this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I don't think Jeff takes scheduled flights.
    [​IMG]

WB, nomad and blazer like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why does Raab need a guard. Having him kidnapped might do us a favour. We could put Chris Grayling in charge of paying the ransom and we might get rid of both of them.

ajrowing, emerald52 and BigFrankEM like this.
  5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What would have happened if the gun had accidentally gorn orf? I've seen Goldfinger.

I didn't think guns were allowed in plane cabins.

nomad likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

They go through VIP channel but they wills till be identified to security staff. But as official police bodyguards they are allowed to carry guns onto the plane so they will be allowed through, I assume.

Goodness knows why Raab needs an armed bodyguard.

emerald52 likes this.
  7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

the death of goldfinger @ youtube

8. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

If I needed to trust someone with my life like this, I'd like it to be someone who wasn't daft enough to leave his gun in the bathroom.

emerald52 likes this.
  9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Can someone please post the link to the clip? Ta in advance.

10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Maybe the police assign particularly useless bodyguards to ministers they want to get rid of.

WB likes this.
  11. modelmaker

This one?

nizebaby likes this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

They are on loads of flights. Flight Marshals are usually armed.

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Rules don't apply to our overlords.

WB likes this.
  14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

In Italy the police have elastic cords (like phone cords) tying their guns to their holsters to prevent just such (surprisingly common) absentmindedness.

15. modelmaker

In my primary school days, it was common for mothers to sew gloves onto a length of elastic that ran up one sleeve of our overcoats and down the other, so we never lost them.

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter