1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bodycams?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by aypi, Feb 3, 2020.

1. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Some of the pupils in my school when challenged on their behaviour just deny it, the parents can also be over-supportive.
    I have a friend who works in a school and he takes a picture of the miscreant with his school issue ipad. ( I dont know if he takes videos).
    What are the legal implications of videoing a misbehaving pupil?

2. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I used a camera once to video a violent outburst of a SEN child who was screaming and kicking things in a corridor as younger children walked past. When the child saw I was filming the incident, they charged towards me.

The next day, when things were calm, we watched the clip together and discussed what the younger children had seen and felt, and what the charge towards me looked like... The child described their behaviour (quite accurately) as ‘very intimidating’, and was greatly concerned that we would show their parents how they had behaved. We agreed to delete it, and have a fresh start, and from then on, whenever things got aggressive, we only had to mention that we ought to get the camera out to record the behaviour for things to de-escalate rapidly. It helped the child to see what others saw, and to recognise that their outbursts scared others. Clearly, they didn’t want their parents to see them behaving aggressively in school... which also helped!

Things were different then... I had more autonomy with how I dealt with behaviour, and as a strategy it certainly worked for me with that child. I can imagine now that some parents would object, but I still think it should be considered, if only to help the child understand and reflect on how they affect others.

No idea about the legal stuff, though!

Sally006, Morninglover and aypi like this.
  3. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

We have CCTV in our corridors (but not classrooms) so students are regularly filmed throughout the day - although no-one is actively choosing when or whom to film. This seems to be perfectly legal and lots of other schools do it. As Grandsire points out, something to consider is whether the act of filming might provoke an escalation of poor behaviour so I probably wouldn't do it for that reason - although I have on occasion wished we had CCTV in the classroom (although, ironically we don't because the teachers don't want it).

4. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

The school has cctv in the corridors, but no speech and any venom in the pupil's eyes is not visible. I want the pupil, the parent, SMT and the LA to see what we are faced with.

5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I’m a firm believer that every classroom should have CCTV in it. Aggressive pupils should be seen as a safeguarding issue - for students and staff - which overrides any concerns about privacy.

afterdark likes this.
  6. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I agree that every classroom should have a camera. Management could no longer ignore their duty of care to their staff if there is video footage.

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Not in decently behaved classes it doesn't, and for most teachers in most classrooms in most schools, that is the case.

8. moscowbore

But in the situation where a student behaves unacceptably, threatening the safety of the teacher and fellow students, the evidence is on tape and irrefutable by lazy senior management who wish for it all to be handled in-class.

peter12171 likes this.
  9. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

All teachers should wear bodycams to stop bullying and lies caused by SMT.

Catgirl1964, install and aypi like this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

I am pretty sure images are data protected in the school environment. So permissions would be needed. I would follow school policy.

11. moscowbore

Sound idea!

12. install

install Star commenter

I would like this. Only problem is that is sone schools you never get to see a physical set person.

They seem to communicate by email only. When they are in - if they are in - they hide. When there is a situation or challenging class they are not allowed to be contacted.

So a body cam would just pick up this: 'SMT at work. Do not Disturb'.

13. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Body cams, bring em on. They would probably help with false accusations as well.

However, some of the places I’ve worked in they would be torn off and hauled away, probably repeatedly jumped on to hide the evidence. And cctv cameras would be vandalised...”. They’re having a difficult day, we need to be understanding.., you probably provoked them”...

14. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

15. GHDSPORTS

GHDSPORTS New commenter

The cameras themselves are not prohibitive. Depending on their sophistication, they can be purchased for a few hundred dollars to as much as $2,000. If Kansas City purchased a midrange model for each of its 1,360 officers, the cost could reach about $1.4 million. A $400 model could cost roughly $550,000 GHDSPORTS

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Late reply to your post, but-
    If a school had this in their policy, that every classroom must have CCTV, you can guarantee that some senior manager will be salivating at the prospect of using select morsels of footage to load the capability gun against staff.
    Also, whilst staff would have recourse to clarify what happened when they are not satisfied with behaviour, there are equally thirty sets of parents per class who would also love the prospect of "access requesting" footage at any given point.
    Would we like to work with the sort of scrutiny which can be wielded evidentially in this way?