1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bodycams should Teachers be able to opt to wear them? or CCTV?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cillia, Oct 23, 2018.

1. cillia

cillia New commenter

I used to dread the idea of being filmed like a 'spy in the cab' but my views are changing. I worked in a 'secure environment' High Security prison for a while and was surprised that there was no CCTV in the classes; and things did happen. I have seen how 'dashcams' can do so much to assist stupidity and unfairness when incidents happen on the roads. In various teaching scenarios I have been in, if the session had of been recorded would have helped and I think if miscreant students felt they were under scrutiny their behaviour might be much better. Like I say, where I felt it would work against me I was against it, but equally it can assist you on verifying your approach was sensible and reasonable when faced with very bad behaviour, aggression and other incidents. Or would this open the floodgates for SLT's to scrutinise all lessons?

2. Apple76

Apple76 New commenter

I teach In ICT rooms - mainly always have because of my subject so we’ve always had CCTV in there. Never had to use it thankfully - it’s there to protect the equipment rather than me.

As far as SLT scrutinising my lessons - well as far as I know they never have. But who knows - they could be sitting having a cup of tea watching me all day. Doesn’t bother me.

I wouldn’t want to wear body cam but CCTV in classrooms is fine in my eyes. It’s everywhere else we go !

SundaeTrifle and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. SamGBr

SamGBr New commenter

I feel the floodgates opening...!

4. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

I have no problems with body cameras. You can film the SMT bullies in action or perhaps they will stop their behaviour, when they know they are being filmed.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I love the idea that I wear a body cam...then SLT/etc can see exactly what I do all day, how hard it is and how well I cope with all kinds of things. Great idea.

6. cillia

cillia New commenter

One interesting aspect is the legalities that may surround it. Who owns the footage? How the footage is used? How long it's kept for?

JohnJCazorla and MissGeorgi like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

There would be no need for such scrutiny by technology if the HT supported rigorous and consistent implementation of a strong behaviour policy.
    The deterrent function of always dealing with misdemeanour by students is ultra powerful,and can be used to manipulate the psyche of an entire student body.

What is the matter that such an obvious fact eludes so many Head Teachers?

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm all for it. Bring it on!

border_walker likes this.
  9. aypi

aypi Established commenter

I had a class a few years ago, and there was someone misbehaving and disrupting the others. They were very good at it and although I had my suspect I never did catch him in the act. I asked the class if they would like CCTV in the room and 90% said yes.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No idea.
    But I like the idea of filming everything I say and do and showing it to SLT.

11. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

In the absence of such rigorous action the use of CCTV should be considered...it would be very useful (at least) to show parents what ‘little Johnny’ or ‘little Jessica’ get up to during lessons. Ihave been advocating it for many years.

grumpydogwoman and saluki like this.
  12. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I had a very disruptive class a couple of years ago. When I told them that their spoken language study would be filmed they were horrified! "Is there cctv in these classrooms then??"
    In that college, a student just walked into a class and verbally abused a teacher in front of other students and refused to leave until she felt like it. Including smoking a fag. Then she returned again and abused her again.
    The upshot was: nothing happened to the student. Nothing. The other students witnessed the abuse and the consequences of abusing a teacher. The other students became abusive. The teacher had a nervous breakdown.
    If ever a college needed cctv, it was that one.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You know how when they go to the loo, some teachers forget to switch off the personal microphone for kids with hearing disabilities?

Bodycams. Hmm. :eek:

Also logistics - who'd have the time to review every single behaviour incident in full on a playback device? God help any Heads of Year.

s10327 and Pomza like this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

this I do not get at all.
    A CCTV will not call the kid into the Prinicpal/s office,castigate them then refuse to allow them to attend school for a day.
    You say yourself that when they misbehaved, nothing happened. So why would it make any difference to film a child and expect something to happen? Why was your say so not enough? Not because you were not believed, but because it is too time consuming (and costly in exclusions) to act.

Where behaviour is not addressed by senior staff at the behest of those staff who suffer it, there is a tendency to explicitely blame that teacher. Providing CCTV evidence will only make those seniors conclude that staff have done something outside of the range of camera.
    We don't need technolgical vigilance.We need procedural consequence.
    It is possible to have the former without the latter, which is useless.
    Whereas the latter without the former is ALWAYS an effective deterrent to poor behaviour.

Why film it if nobody important wants to watch the film?

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Again,the negativity of this parental contact would be distorted by many many school leaders.If you showed a parent negative footage, you don't have a hands up and sorry from that parent, you have an angry parent, quizzing what you did to cause their child's behaviour.
    Ergo you have a troublesome member of staff.
    You don't need footage, you need backing from the top. A video of your child versus a stern meeting with the HT-it's the video which will be doubted more.

Dunno-perhaps those who advocate CCTV have not worked in such places that seek to make the teacher answerable for poor behaviour.
    Evidencing that behaviour is not the solution. We already evidence it by saying "I saw this happen today".
    We need to ask why that is not enough, not by asking how we can further empiricise that evidence.

16. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

A basic part of safeguarding is that the school owns the camera and any recordings on it. Additionally there is usually a policy that will state no recording of pupils to be done on non-school devices (another thing to be paranoid about on school trips or the Prom). So producing your own recording is tantamount to asking for a Disciplinary.

As @sbkrobson points out any footage would make little difference and could even be used as a stick to beat you with.

17. Andrew_1993

Andrew_1993 New commenter

Hi,

Many schools are open to filming lesson for "good practice" so you can share with colleagues and reflect on your own lessons. I have filmed lessons where behaviour is awful as a way for students to pluck up their ideas. They will kick off and state that you can't record them during class, but you can providing it is school equipment, not taken out of school and stored data is encrypted.

It is good to record as when SLT come down on you and say that you haven't tried, you can pull the tape up and say that you used the behaviour policy, but the students didn't respond.

I've done this before and regularly record my lessons, and this does help as when you watch the recording back you will pick up on how you can do better -because remember, it's not all on the kids!

18. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

Used in conjunction with an effective disciplinary policy (for kids) it could bring to the parents’ attention that their child is not as well behaved as they believe. Lots of parents do not believe that their child could be involved in less than perfect behaviour and will not believe it when a teacher says so. CCTV would help in these cases.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  19. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

They'd have to actually understand it and have experience of it to 'get' that-watching an aerobics class can make people who never move from the sofa think that the instructor has an easy job-watching horse racing might make anyone who had never ridden think that the jockeys have an easy life...
    Back when all SLT were good, very experienced teachers, things were different, but they wouldnt have needed to watch it to know!

I just wonder why it's ok to record lessons, yet you have all kinds of fuss about taking photos/recording phone calls?

20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What an excellent idea!
    "Dear All
    Please find attached a film of me teaching and some children learning. Please watch it so you can improve the sorts of things you do yourselves
    Love
    sbk"