1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bob Dylan wins Nobel Peace Prize for Literature!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Oct 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Best ever cure for insomnia - any Bob Dylan album.

I quite like "Street Legal" - that's as far as it goes for me.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

For those of ignoble thoughts there are igNobel prizes.

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Among them ought to be the record for bowling the most no balls in an over. Curtly Ambrose managed to get in nine at Perth in February 1993 in his fifteen ball over, yet became man of the match after taking 5 wickets.

Another ignobel prize for bowling no balls should go to Brett Lee who holds the record for taking the most test wickets (ten) that were disallowed through no balls.

racroesus likes this.
  4. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Brett Lee deserves a knighthood.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Though not a fan of his voice, I think his song-writing, use of lyrics and influence on his (and possibly following) generation(s) warrant this award.

It's a bit of a change from the traditional winners but that's not a bad thing either :)

Dragonlady30 and vannie like this.
  6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Not trying to sound antagonistic here, but I can only think that neither of you were in your teens in the early 60's. You would not otherwise have been able to ignore Dylan. He really was a game changer for Western culture. Just listen to the praise heaped upon him by so many. For me and my peer group he was so important and so influential. For me it was his protest music, but he went some distance beyond that, influencing popular culture very deeply. Just read the comments made about him by anybody you think is / was a pop culture icon of any sort.

If you were there, you would know.

7. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

And if that had anything to do with literature, I would find it entirely convincing.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I wasn't born in the 60s! I don't deny his influence. What I expressed was personal preference.

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Got to agree. It's extremely simplistic and somewhat crude in its composition. Take the music away and it's no different from the average Iron Maiden song

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I've already shown my ignorance by not knowing what the prizes are called, and I know there are a lot of things about literature and art that I don't understand. My strengths lie in maths, science and technology and other areas. However, I go back to how much Dylan has influenced my life and if a bunch of guys and gals in Stockholm who have been selected by their peers, all of whom are generally acknowledged as being some of the greatest minds on their subjects in the world, say that his work merits a Nobel prize then who am I -- who are we -- to say otherwise.

racroesus likes this.
  11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

The relevant section of the online oxford definition says literature is defined as "Written works, especially those considered of superior or lasting artistic merit."
    I cannot see why his works cannot be classified as literature

TCSC47 and HelenREMfan like this.
  12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

OK, totally accepted. I suppose what I am trying to convey to everybody here, is how important Bob Dylan has been to modern popular culture and the Wests views and values. He took a style of music ignored by the masses and made it totally mainstream. He may merely have been of his time, and lucked into all the social changes going on in the 60's but from where I sit and presumably from where the Nobel prize awarding committee sit, he was more of a progenitor to all that followed the 60's.

And I quickly add that we all know there is a lot of stinking mess about of course, but I think that it would be a lot worse otherwise. If Dylan didn't actually set the aspirations of our present day culture he certainly reminded us of what they should be.

racroesus likes this.
  13. Duke of York

Had you been born earlier, it might have been Woody Guthrie who influenced you, as indeed he did Dylan, some saying during the 60s that Dylan had stolen Guthrie's act.

They had different things to protest about. With Guthrie, it was the injustice of the depression and rise of fascism.

[​IMG]

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  14. Flere-Imsaho

The prize wasn't for music.

If I suggest the people who were in their teens in the 60s are perhaps influenced by that experience more than the literary merit would that be wildly inaccurate?

15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

That is the point I am making. Bob Dylan popularised Woody Guthry.

16. Duke of York

Without taking anything away from Dylan or your enjoyment of his music and what it meant to you, I think there's a danger of overstating the influence he personally had on society as a whole from our subjective experiences. I listened to his songs in the 60s, bought a number of his albums and used some of his songs to learn to play the guitar with. I have to say though, that if I never hear any of them again, it will be too soon.

Context is everything. The 60s was a time that changed the way music was promoted. We take it for granted that we can listen to virtually every song ever recorded with a few mouse clicks, but before the late 50s, the majority of music that people listened to was controlled by what could be heard on the radio or at music venues.

At the end of the 50s, Record players became affordable for the young, along with an explosion of music created to appeal to the young. As music became more available and more profitable, it became more easier for people to choose the type of music they wanted to listen to.

Dylan's greater popularity than Woody Guthrie or Robert Johnson and the rest that went before, is largely due to his arriving on the scene at the right time. Undoubtedly a generation was influenced by his music, but whether it changed anything other than the music industry is quite another matter.

17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think it's correct that if you were not a teen in the 60's it does affect your view on him.

I wasn't and read his lyrics and just get the feeling I am reading a 6th former's attempt at 'cool' poetry. Feels all a bit Russell Brand-ish to me.

Then you hear him sing and think man, the whole world must have been seriously high in the 60s to accept that as music and culture.

There can be no doubt he fed off the times and the lack of internet and, therefore, competition. Once he was given an audience he could keep it, unlike today where I would imagine he wouldn't last a week before being sent back to oblivion.

Just old farts giving out prizes to old farts.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Was it me or did the woman making the announcement look like Micheal Jackson?

[​IMG]

19. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Professor Seamus Perry (chair of the English Faculty at Oxford) doesn't seem to have been a teenager in the sixties - I think he's in his forties now - and he's quoted as saying about Dylan:
    "He is, more than any other, the poet of our times, as Tennyson was of his, representative and yet wholly individual, humane, angry, funny, and tender by turn; really, wholly himself, one of the greats.”

Can I take it you don't agree?

HelenREMfan likes this.
  20. Flere-Imsaho

I studied Dylan as part of a Romantic Literature course at university. I discovered quite quickly that I wasn't very keen on any of the Romantics and Dylan's work, although perhaps thematically interesting and clearly influential, left me cold. That's not to say there's not writing of merit there - just not to my taste. There are probably huge swathes of English literature that Professor Perry and I would disagree about!

If I'd been a teenager of the right class in Lord Byron's time I'd probably have found his writing a little more interesting too.