1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boarding schools - your views ....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    Having just applied for a non-resident post at a boarding school, I'd be interested to hear your views on these establishments ... particularly as I've no personal or professional experience of them at all. I know plenty of folks who send their children to independent (day) schools and I myself have taught in them, but I suspect boarding schools are quite a different kettle of fish ...
    Were you yourself educated at boarding school, or did you choose to send your children to one? Have you ever been employed at one? I'd really like to hear your experiences, memories, opinions, etc.
    The role would have more emphasis on the pastoral side of things, less on the teaching. This is quite a departure for me, so your thoughts on how best to help the boarders in my care would also be appreciated.
    Might not even get to interview stage [​IMG], but just thought I'd ask out of interest anyway.
    Thanks [​IMG] .

2. Hello everyone,
    Having just applied for a non-resident post at a boarding school, I'd be interested to hear your views on these establishments ... particularly as I've no personal or professional experience of them at all. I know plenty of folks who send their children to independent (day) schools and I myself have taught in them, but I suspect boarding schools are quite a different kettle of fish ...
    Were you yourself educated at boarding school, or did you choose to send your children to one? Have you ever been employed at one? I'd really like to hear your experiences, memories, opinions, etc.
    The role would have more emphasis on the pastoral side of things, less on the teaching. This is quite a departure for me, so your thoughts on how best to help the boarders in my care would also be appreciated.
    Might not even get to interview stage [​IMG], but just thought I'd ask out of interest anyway.
    Thanks [​IMG] .

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've worked in one.
    They want their pound of flesh.
    Lots of late night/overnight/weekend duties that are a pain (Sunday duty is usually dire!)
    Also most boarding schools are also Saturday schools....at least the morning. This in itself isn't a huge problem but it sure fucks up Friday night!
    As the job is pastoral, I expect they'll want a great deal from you.
    If you do get an interview it's worth going along to see what's what.
    Let us know what happens.

4. will do Belle, thanks for your reply

5. This might have been better placed on the independent schools forum.
    I think the answer to the OP has to be the same as is often said of independent schools: no two are the same. They are independent that is why they are so called. None of the descriptions thus far reflect any school I have worked in. The schools I worked in appeared to be very similar to each other. It may be my schools are different or that those described here are.
    Where I work there is no Saturday School. None of indi's around my area keep Saturday School anymore. There are after school activities and clubs which are open to day and boarding pupils but these are not compulsory for day pupils. They are compulsory for boarders ( keeps them busy between the end of school day and supper time).
    School tends to run 9 am - 4.00 pm ( 5,0 pm for activities). 1 hr and 15 mins for lunch. Assembly every morning from 9.00 am - 9.20 am.
    Full time staff are required to offer either a lunch time club or an after school club for two terms. Part time staff do not have this commitment.
    All staff do one day duty a term and one prep duty a term ( this may include some part time staff who work over 50% timetable) Day duty ends ar 5.00 pm with the supervision of later busses.
    All nighttime supervision is taken by house staff whose job is specifically boarding. Some of these staff are teachers. Teachers who are House Masters and Mistresses ( or assistants) get reduced timetables ( usually 60% timetables). They are also paid additional supplements and given accommodation free.
    We have much longer holidays.
    That is the school where I work. The only answer has to be take a look at the terms and conditions for the school you are being employed in . I personally have never found anything to complain about in my employment conditions.

6. She did post it six months ago mind.
    As for boarding schools, not my cup of tea and I'll confess to not understanding parents who use them at all, even slightly, even remotely (unless they are in jobs which move around a lot of course) but to each his/her own i guess ...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The internet is a strange place full of strange people. Why would someone search for a 6 month old thread and then talk about military boarding schools for their only post?

8. [​IMG]
    Yes, talk about a blast from the past!
    Thanks for your help anyway, folks x

9. Indy schools are run by *** wanting to use charitable status to make money out of fool hardy and needy monied people. A bit like old peoples' homes really.. without family who care....

10. Oh, that's just ****!