1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boarding Schools Reopening

Discussion in 'Independent' started by andywhizz1, Aug 20, 2020.

1. andywhizz1

andywhizz1 New commenter

Hi all

I work in a boarding school for 13-18 year olds with approx 15 percent overseas.

I have not had any information about how we are going to tackle the issues with the coronavirus and it is getting closer to the reality of returning. To be fair to SLT I think that they are trying to allow us to get a break rather than worrying us but not having any idea of the strategy is starting to play on my mind.

Has anyone else working in a boarding environment had info on how it is going to work in their school ?

Thanks.

2. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Yes. We are offering quarantine in school for those overseas families who want it. Some are remaining abroad and the school have committed to providing online teaching for this term at least.

3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

They are leaving things very late - although it may just be a discussion between housemasters and SLT at the moment.

At a former school (day + boarding), boarders have already returned - they are in quarantine for two weeks before the start of term, and it seems they have lots of fun activities and a great induction programme running. For full boarding, though, I imagine this would be different.

4. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

We have heard a little, and hopefully will hear more in the next few days. Visors or perspex screens for teachers, all work paperless, no external sports fixtures. All overseas students need to have a guardian willing to take them in quarantine. Havent heard yet about those not returning in person, but suspect there will be an element of online teaching also.

5. nighttrace

nighttrace New commenter

Full boarding here. Quarantine has been offered to overseas pupils. All staff and pupils will be required to wear face coverings in lessons. Pupils have also been given the choice of receiving online lessons.