1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boarding school reopen 1st June

Discussion in 'Independent' started by teachersquestions, May 18, 2020.

1. teachersquestions

teachersquestions New commenter

So in my school, we have been told boarding houses will be open from June 1st for years 10 and 12. Lessons will all still be taught online. Understandably most boarding staff are against this.
    Suggestions for how to oppose?

2. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

That is interesting. We are prep, so no year 10 or 12, but we have been told no boarding is possible for the moment.

3. andywhizz1

andywhizz1 New commenter

Why would they reopen boarding houses with teaching online ? I can imagine many parents would oppose this. What is the rationale being given?

needabreak likes this.
  4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Did they conduct a parental consultation prior to deciding this? Do you have many foreign students coming back?

5. teachersquestions

No residential boarding being allowed just pupils in boarding houses during day to study online. Rationale given is to see their friends and give families space. No consultation with parents, pupils or staff, decision was made. Obviously no overseas pupils back yet.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Errmmm can't those children do that in classrooms?
    If they aren't staying over, then it makes no sense to reopen the boarding houses.

Are boarding staff furloughed?

7. teachersquestions

@caterpillartobutterfly Agreed. You would think classrooms make more sense. Boarding staff are also teaching staff so not furloughed.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhhh okk.
    They can definitely teach in their classrooms then surely?

9. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

A leading expert at the World Health Organisation today ruled that it is on balance safe for children to start going back to school next month.
    Dr David Nabarro said of the plans for a phased reopening of classrooms with strict safeguards and hygiene rules: “There will be risks but it’s a case of balancing up the risks.
    "You don’t want children staying at home and missing out on school for a long time.”
    Dr Nabarro stressed that any re-opening of classrooms must be carefully handled and that teachers must be “comfortable” with the arrangements.
    He said it was not clear if children can infect teachers or bring virus back into their family households.
    He told Sky News: “I would want to be very much in contact with the teachers, I would want to check out with them... are they comfortable about restarting school, keeping the children in bubbles in the playground and trying to maintain physical distancing as much as possible.”
    He went on: “When I’m finding teachers who are really going about this carefully, we have teachers in the family, and they are talking to me about it a lot, then yes I think we should just start doing it and do it gradually and see how it goes.”