1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boarding House Resources

Discussion in 'Independent' started by lukecannon1, Aug 24, 2019.

1. lukecannon1

lukecannon1 New commenter

Dear all,

I am going to be starting as a Housemaster for a House ranging from Year's 7 - 12.
    Does anyone have any useful resources or documents they could point me in the right direction or send me?
    Further, some top tips that people are happy to share would be great.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Have a happy start of term!

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

That's exciting and scary in equal measure! The key to it all is people. Reading between the lines you are new to the school? Then you need to tap into all the knowledge and skills of your staff: they can tell you so much that isn't in the files! Get to know all the parents, guardians, and others by name as fast as you can. Use mugshots to learn the pupils' names before term begins.
    You'll need to manage communication expectations otherwise you'll be on email 24/7. Get out of your office and go wandering round the house, make the informal connections.
    It's difficult if you are expected to bring about change; remember that boys in particular are very conservative and resistant to change.
    One thing I worked hard on was to ensure that everyone had a specific responsibility, from head of house to keeping the notice board tidy. Getting older ones in charge of running events and looking after others gives a good collegiate sense.
    Make sure you work with the domestic staff: your cleaner is another set of eyes and ears for you and may well have an undocumented informal counselling role as well as being fiercely loyal to the house.
    Hope this helps. This is in my experience the most rewarding and also the most committing and challenging role in teaching: enjoy it!

3. lukecannon1

lukecannon1 New commenter

Skeoch, thank you for your response. That is very helpful and reassuring at the same time. It is always helpful gaining some information from more experienced staff.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Glad to be of assistance. One further thought: if you have overseas students, have you had a chance to consider cultural issues?