1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

boarding house parent

Discussion in 'Independent' started by siege, Jun 29, 2019.

1. siege

siege New commenter

Any boarding houseparents reading?
    2 queries:
    Do you work 2 weekends in 3, as I do, with an assistant on the other weekend? Or do you do more/less?
    Do you have any breaks when you can leave the boarding house during a 48 hour weekend duty?
    Thank you

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I think it very much depends on the school and the staffing. A school I know has a boarding house master, an assistant boarding house master and three further staff who do boarding duties. They work on a rota and it seems to be a different member of staff each evening and the weekend duties are shared, too.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It was quite a few years ago that I was a "live in" housemaster, at a school near Salisbury. Yes, there was a rota for evening duties and you also were on duty at weekends, from Saturday lunch through to Sunday evening. It was pretty much 24/7 and I much prefer teaching in a day school!

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

My routine was Housemaster on duty 4 evenings including weekend. Assistant 2 evenings, Tutor 1 evening. Realistically no real break in term time.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I was a boarding housemaster for many years before I retired, and was generally on duty from 4pm until 8.45am the next morning for five days a fortnight and from 4pm Friday until 8.45 the next Monday morning for six weekends a term. The other duties were taken mainly by a residential assistant who had his own flat in the house. In addition, a member of the day staff was paid to do one sleepover duty a week and two weekends a term.

I had a much reduced teaching timetable in recognition of these duties, as well as a significant addition to my teaching salary, plus the use of a four-bedroom house throughout the year for myself and family, with all domestic, catering, laundry and gardening services provided during term time.

There was relatively little life outside the college during term time, but the reward was a substantial income (my wife also worked on site) that, with hardly any outgoings, was basically pocket money (and which encouraged bad habits, such as buying property in London and Venice).