1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boarding hours

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DashyB, Sep 14, 2019.

1. DashyB

DashyB New commenter

For those of you who work in boarding schools, how many hours duty do you tend to do a week?

We have had a lot of changes in our school this year and I am just about to start a 24 hour shift in the boarding house I work in (having already done an evening and overnight this week) and I am wondering if we are living in a little bubble of unreasonable expectations of staff or if this is just par for the course. I have a Thurs evening, Thursday overnight, Friday evening, Friday overnight, Saturday afternoon, Saturday evening and Saturday overnight stint coming up too.... all on top of a full-time teaching schedule.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Depends a bit on whether you live in the boarding house. Living in means that most overnight duties have no work associated at all (though there's always the possibility); coming in to sleep in a duty or guest room is a different thing although again the overnight work is negligilble.
    We run a system where the housemaster/housemistress does four duties a week, live-in tutor two, and visiting house tutor one (but doesn't sleep in). If the four are spread through the week, it works. I have found that my three evenings off give some tme for longer bits of pastoral work as well as some serious academic work.
    Workload depends a lot on how old the pupils are and how much responsibility is given to senior pupils.