1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BMIs of the rich and famous

Discussion in 'Science' started by nataliesennett, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mrs Bridgewater, PM me with your e-mail address, I've got a powerpoint I did a while ago with some examples that the pupils have to work out for celebs. Mine really enjoyed it. Plus they got to discuss why BMI can be misleading - due to the results.

2. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Would it be possible to upload to TES Resources?

3. I did it on the gladiators a few years back. They publish their measurements so it is easy to calculate. But you do have to qualify it with the fact that they are all muscle.
    You can also look up the weights and heights of those super models who died of anorexia and calculate what their BMI was just before they died. That is a tricky lesson, though, while just about all of the class think that the model's appearance before death is horrible, some of the girls thought it was great. I found it very difficult to get through to them.

4. 'tis done!

5. I've got a card sort on TES resources too, with the likes of Jona Lomu etc on it. I think it's under applied science.

6. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

Thank you all! Used the powerpoint and some other bits and pieces. I really hate BMI as I end up telling the children about it and then having to go through all the reasons why it is not valid. Even then, I get one or two children who haven't listened when I tell them about it only being valid for adults, who come up to me convinced that they are desperately under or over weight!