1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bluebell woods

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Mrs. M. and I have just returned from a walk in a nearby bluebell wood and it was truly heavenly. Apparently they are better than ever this year because of weather conditions and are currently at their peak.
    There was a list in the local free papers of ones nearby. If you have never visited one at the prime time, then now is ideal and if you have, then go and re-live a childhood memory whether it's an actual one or an "implanted" one, one of Britain's finest free spectacles.

2. Adore bluebells.
    Yep, the best things in life are still free.
    For now [​IMG].

3. I have been to two different woods over the last 2 weeks and both had a glorious display of blue bells along with wood anemones. Fabulous.

4. They are a wonderful sight . Apparently we have to be on the look out for the larger , nasty Spanish bluebell which is threatening to wipe out our nicer native species.

5. Bluebells are my favourite flower. Apparently it was Scotland's national flower before the thistle usurped it ...

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I wonder if the bluebells are in flower all across the land? I ask this as I've really been aware of seasonal variations in the UK this year. Last weekend we went up to Yorkshire from the London suburbs: I was amazed to note that daffodils were still in full bloom - golden hosts of them everywhere. Down here they have been dead for weeks, and even the tulips have finished in my garden. It was lovely - like being transported back in time and having the daffodil season all over again. Down here my spireas are in full bloom at the moment - a good fortnight earlier than usual.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

We don't have any bluebells yet (central belt of Scotland), not that I'm aware of anyway. I love them too . . . . . I always thought 'bluebell wood' was our (me and Mr K) little phrase, but obviously not. We have a special wood we go to [​IMG]
    Och, they are just fantastic. I love the smell and I love that mix of fresh green (new leaves) and the purple flowers. It's a beautiful contrast.