1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blue Foam- finishing and painting?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by doodle_dt, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I've done loads of blue foam modelling when on my degree and have used it a bit in the classroom, some years back I did a project where students sealed the foam with PVA glue then used poster paints to add colour to their designs, however I was wondering if anyone else had had success finishing blue foam in any other way to give a productlike(ish) finish?

I know I could do experiments, but I'm looking for a quick fix solution, aren't we all!

Has anyone been successful in coating the blue foam in filler and then painting it?

Do you think felt tips are a quicker cleaner way of colouring/decorating the foam and then maybe a PVA finish to gloss it over a bit? Or would this make the felt tips run?

Hmm....help! Any suggestions gratefully received!

It's hardwork making Graphics seem more appealing to students (especially with limited/no ICT resources!)

Thank you :)

2. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Could always take individual pieces, cut in half and then vac form with thin polystyrene, then rejoin two halves?

3. Thanks Spencer, it's an idea, but it's one that will cost me more money (HIPS) and we only have one slightly dodgy vac former so the backlog (or technican workload) for all our classes would be quite high with that option....good for KS4 though :)

4. You will have to coat the foam in PVA to then coat it with filler as it does not stick well without. I model with it at GCSE and A level and we plaster the foam before painting with acrylic or spray paint. if a student has patience they can ge an excellent finish. Plaster tends to stick well but I am still experimenting with the best way to apply it as we have had some varied results. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks

5. Agree with what dahaka78 has said, I have used filler on blue foam but you do need some paitence to get a good finish. Once it is sealed I used spray paint which gives a good glossy finish.

6. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

I've used a white emulsion paint, mixed with polyfilla before now. Put a thickish coat on, allow it to dry, then sand smooth with wet+dry used dry.

Can be repeated if needs be.

7. I use a teaspoon of plaster of paris in about 4 times acrylic paint (use throw away yog pots for excess so it doesn't go down the sink!) Apply a thin coat and gently sand when dry. You can add another layer of this or just coat with acrylic paint if the surface is smooth enough. You can get a really shiny finish and don't need to worry about completely sealing the foam as you do with spray paints :)

8. We had a CNC hot wire foam cutter on loan from a company called Apropa. They sold a two part resin for coating foams without it melting the foam. It was fairly expensive as you needed to guage the volume before mixing but the result was a rock hard sandable plastic coating.
    http://www.apropa.co.uk/