1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blow the whistle on the SATs cheats via these links

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, May 8, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Cheats make everyone's life more difficult, lying to children, to their parents and to you & to me. The repercussions of their systematic and conscious cheating permeates the system and there is no excuse for it.

If you know someone is cheating then use this DFE whistleblowing link. If pupils or their parents approach you with a complaint about colleagues' cheating which your SLT will not correct, then pass them this link. If colleagues' unfeasibly successful results are putting pressure on you, whether you are in Primary or in Secondary, then don't stand for it. You may also use the email address whistleblowing@ofsted.gov.uk or this second whistleblowing link.

There is no reason why you should break your back doing the right thing while other people, individual teachers, schools & SLTs laugh behind your back and falsify results for their own benefit.

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What the DfE or Ofqual etc could do very easily, and could have done many times over the past years, is look at the marks pupils get on the English language exam, and then look at the coursework grades. Pupils are getting A's on their coursework and much, much less on the written exams. I have seen it many times. We all know it.

Of course, if it were properly looked at, there would be a massive problem to address. So no one has.

And of course whistle blowing on your school will have massive implications for your career, and I also suspect that no one want to really look into the extent of it either.

So good luck with that.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

Luck is the residue of design and hard work, but by all means let people do nothing, then whine and call themselves unlucky as their cheating colleagues are promoted & paid ahead of them.

4. Scintillant

I am pointing out why people do not report widespread and frequent cheating.

I am not suggesting they are right not to report, nor am I suggesting they do not report.

I am, however, suggesting what will very likely happen if they do report it.

And what should happen to the departments, headteachers and teachers who have not played fair Vince? Heads and or SLTs will claim no knowledge of it - despite asking for it verbally - as there is no paper trail

5. Vince_Ulam

No, specifically you are pointing out what school staff who do not make anonymous reports may fear will happen. It is possible for school staff to make anonymous reports via the links I have given, it is also possible for parents to make reports.

You're alright, Jack.

No, you aren't. You're hinting at dark things, that's it.

Teacher and headmaster husband in lifetime classroom ban over exam cheating

(BirminghamMail.co.uk, 1st October 2015.)

If people do nothing, nothing changes. Spreading fear does the work of bullies for them.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  6. Scintillant

But we know cheating goes on.

It doesn't need whistleblowers to highlight it afresh in individual cases via anonymous phonecalls

It needs investigating and proper punishment. That would reduce it massively.

So why is it not happening? The evidence is there. Every year.

Because we couldn't ever begin to find enough replacement teachers, head and SLT.

7. Vince_Ulam

That everyone knows it 'goes on' is no reason not to report individual cases. National investigations are circuses which end in a parade of platitudes. Investigations of individual cases yield results.

I expect you're being more than half-serious but what other profession would tolerate deliberate cheating and fraud on the basis of that argument? We can't find honest people to work with our children so let's keep the cheaters? Perhaps Primaries could twin with prisons and we could organise some day-release work for the inmates.

I urge people to report cheaters via the links in the opening post.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  8. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

I'm with Vince on this one.

The system has flaws, major flaws in some situations, but if one of the flaws is teachers being allowed to cheat by their peers then the system has less chance of being fixed.

At the end of the day, cheating in exams is done for one reason only - greed. Whether it's to inflate egos or gain monetarily through promotions, pay rises etc, the only winners are the teachers who do it. Not the schools, not the staff around them and definitely not the children.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  9. Scintillant

I am serious Vince, No one should tolerate it. We know that.

But it is tolerated by the very people asking teachers to whistleblow about it - the DfE. They can then point to action on a very small minority of cases - if any - rather than addressing problem properly.

colpee and wanet like this.
  10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Good reason for ending controlled assessments.

Owennnn and needabreak like this.
  11. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

Absolutely. I was so sick of feeling like I was doing my students a disservice and disadvantaging them during controlled assessments, merely by following the rules.

12. Vince_Ulam

[​IMG]

Omertà.

13. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

I take no pleasure in saying this but I think that wilful blindness runs like a disease through just about every level through the education system when it comes to this subject. Deafness and dumbness too .Teachers on the sharp end of this sleazy practice know that whistleblowing is not just stressful, its professional suicide, if you are unmasked. Also there are many vested interests who are more than ready to hang you out to dry, if you try and upset their party. If we take as a marker what happened to those who tried to whistle blow at the Staffordshire Hospital scandal and the case in Rotherham of the youth worker who was threatened with the courts after she told the Times newspaper of the way that child sexual abuse was being ignored the message is stark - watch out. (A colleague told me about how her HT tried to raise concerns about suspiciously enhanced scores from a SATs test from a his predecessor only to be told - in so many words - that it was now his problem he had to deal with it. Funny that, because he thought by raising the concerns he was doing just that.

Wish a had a safe answer but I don't. Using sites like this one is the only one I know.

One thing does occur to me is to ask for an FOI request about how many reports the DfE has received concerning whistle blowing about cheating in SATs tests.