1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bloody montly check-ups now from key

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by claire_owen, Feb 25, 2011.

1. bloody, bloody key.. Just had an email saying they are now randomly selecting people every month to provide evidence of their claims. I suppose this was only a matter of time but that means I am going to be earning even less! I must admit I have been over-claiming on milage and claiming for meals I don't neccessary buy because you can but that will no longer be the case. I've done it a bit but not taking the mick with it.

I do earn more through key but only if I claim for a certain number of miles a week which makes it worthwhile. I am going to be keeping a very close eye on my payslips now and will leave if my I am not earning more through them, which I expect will be the case now I won't be able to claim lunch everyday and b'fast.

2. bloody, bloody key.. Just had an email saying they are now randomly selecting people every month to provide evidence of their claims. I suppose this was only a matter of time but that means I am going to be earning even less! I must admit I have been over-claiming on milage and claiming for meals I don't neccessary buy because you can but that will no longer be the case. I've done it a bit but not taking the mick with it.

I do earn more through key but only if I claim for a certain number of miles a week which makes it worthwhile. I am going to be keeping a very close eye on my payslips now and will leave if my I am not earning more through them, which I expect will be the case now I won't be able to claim lunch everyday and b'fast.

3. It was only a matter of time.
    Thre next step is Are you entitles to claim expenses?
    HMRC will say No.
    You will have to challenge that in court.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You can't claim breakfast - you don't buy it so you can't claim it. Not sure about miles - I wish you could claim it but think it's going to be dodgy under HMRC rules.
    Best thing - go through your agency. They will pay your NI and you won't have to pay the Key portfolio charge.

5. Can claim milage at the moment and can claim for meals, even if the amount you have provided evidence for is less than the recommended amount on the form. But now need evidence for both. This is going to seriously reduce the amount I earn a month and I am only just earning enough as it is!
    Going to keep an eye on it and if I am earning less than would be if was just going through the agency I will leave. I seem to be earning less and less now.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

The meal allowance do not need to be proven by receipts. These are Inland Revenue rules, not Key rules.

7. How much can you earn before paying income tax? If I do not earn enough, because I am not getting the supply work, why am I paying Key Portfolio £15 per payslip?

8. I can't believe all this hassel with keypay.
    I think what i am going to do is buy the cheapest thing on offer for lunch at school as it doesnt matter the amount the food comes to.

9. BelleDuJour

What exactly are they going to do if you cannot provide the receipt? I doubt many school canteens are happy to provide receipts for a cheese'n pickle sarnie!
    Daft thing is you can claim £5 yet show a receipt for 10p! Let's all buy a choccy bar on the way to work, oh, and a muesli bar for brekkie. Revenue says there amounts (£5, £7.50 and £15) are the maximum allowable non-receipted so we do not have to provide receipts.
    I'd argue my case if they sample me!

10. I've just read through the emails and documents released for it. If you dont show reciepts you will definately go on the list for the next lot of checking, if on the second one you don't show reciepts you go onto the list for the next lot of checking if at the 3rd lot of checking without any reciepts then you will never be allowed to claim expenses again.
    I don't think we can claim breakfast anyway i think it is only if you leave the house before a certain time (6.30 at a guess, cant remember exact time)
    I think you have to purchase the food on the exact day too so no going to the shops the day before
    I need to read it in more detail again i think

11. BelleDuJour

Unless key portfolio have had a directive from IR then it is not up to them to request this info. If they have had a directive then they need to show it to us.

12. It appears to me that key portfolio are allowing their staff to act illegally in order to take their cut. If HMRC cotton on to this, you run the risk of getting shagged. You may find that in the small print, they pass their shagging on to you as well. READ CONTRACTS and know the statutes relating to your work. It seems several of you don't and are running the gauntlet.They will have your kid's clothes if they catch you.