1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bloody insect bites

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Jul 13, 2015.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Fell asleep on my lawn the other day and woke up to a horrible array of bites on my calves, back of thighs and [worst of all] pubic bone area. ALl the affected areas are hot, hard, swollen and itchy.

Must have been ants or, perhaps, spiderlinglings. Now, I have a coloursful history of being bitten in tropical places - you really don't want to know - but this was one of the most painful attacks ever. The ant htat bit my shin in Wales was probably the worst ever since it was a single bite and I couldn't walk for four days and my leg grew to treetrunk proportions.

Anyone esle been bitten by ants on their lawn?

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I would have expected ants to wake you up. Wood ants are very bitey, but they are only found in woods and quite large red things. There are many blood sucking flies that could be culprits, up to horse flies which are about the size of a jumbo jet. I got bitten on the back of the hand by something on Saturday and now my hand is bright red and swollen. Regular applications of anthisan and germolene do not seem to have done very much.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ta, Jacob, but ants don't necessarily wake you up. Years ago, I got bitten on the shin by a wood ant and couldn't walk for a week. This was more like the little pharaoh ants you get out east. Lloads of bites, calves rock hard and very sore, and I don't want to go into too much detail about how my poor mons veneris is feeling!

I have at least thirty little bites. They all itch ike billyoh.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

[​IMG]

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I was bitten by the long jump pit one summer but scarcely registered it at the time.We were (unusually) going away for the weekend to a rented cottage in the Lakes with 2 friends. At 3am I woke up & went to bathroom..... felt a it weird but went back off to sleep. Cue 7 am and when I woke.... I was "blind" in one eye or rather couldn't see out of the eye. Overnight the swelling from the bite just below my eyebrow had left me doing a brilliant impersonation of Charles Laughton as "Quasimodo"! On another occasion I was the only person bitten at a BBQ having been covered in every chemical going and being surrounded by every homeopathic "solution" too. The doctor prescribed Atarax for me and oh wow! Fabulous little green tablets which zonked me out and tbh if they had dropped an atomic bomb behind me I wouldn't have noticed or cared.... in fact I decided that I could do with a few doses of that tablet at the start of every holiday! ( I recently found the box at the back of the medicine cupboard and aim to ask the Dr for an "emergency" supply of them.)

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've being trying to build up resistance to mozzie bites by not covering myself with deet, and it seem s to be working to some extent. . Ants are different - had to go to hospital two years ago after falling into a trail of little brown pharaoh ants int he Philippines. Believe me, English ants are every bit as nasty as rheir oriental cousins.

7. I suffer badly with mozzie bites this time of year.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Atarax. Ta Will look it up.

9. I heard using tomatoes is effective, although I haven't tried it myself.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Found on the internet...

Some easy and effective ways to treat mosquito bites to reduce swelling and itchiness include:

?Applying a piece of Scotch tape onto the bite and leave it there for a few hours, then gently remove the tape. This will not only help remove some of the saliva that caused the itch, thus speeding up recovery time, but also will reduce the itch significantly in the process.

?Apply roll-on antiperspirant to the bite. The itching should stop almost immediately. The aluminum salts in the antiperspirant help the body reabsorb the fluids in the bite, which will reduce the swelling and get rid of most of the itching.

?Make a paste from baking soda and water and apply directly to the mosquito bite.

?Another paste to make is a paste from any meat tenderizer that contains papain. Mix it with water and spread it on the bite. The papain breaks down the proteins found in the mosquito saliva, which will help reduce your body’s reaction to the saliva.

?Soak a wash cloth in very hot water. This should be not so hot that it burns your skin, but should, nevertheless, be almost uncomfortably hot. Hold the hot wash cloth against your mosquito bite for a minute or two and repeat. This should cause the itch to disappear completely for at least several hours. This works by reducing the histamine-induced skin blood flow.

?Similarly, you could simply soak in a hot bath to achieve the same results.

?Another good home remedy is to apply nail polish to the bite. This might look funny, depending on where the bite is, but should reduce the itch considerably.

?Use some of the flexible membrane inside a chicken egg shell to cover the bite. As it dries and contracts on the bite, it will draw out some of the mosquito’s saliva.

?Rub a wet bar of soap over the mosquito bite. You should feel an almost immediate relief from the itch.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Has anyone mentioned antihistamine? I've not been too bad this year thank God. Camping later this week so fingers crossed. (Note to self - dig out the tablets and the cream)

12. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

That'll teach you to sunbathe in the nip

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was badly bitten by ants in Cuba, they came out of the grass at dusk and I didn't realise I had been bitten until later. It was excruciatingly painful and took about a fortnight to die down.

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I was bitten by the long-jump pit!!!!

Helen, is it awful of me to laugh?

Horse-fly bites cause a huge reaction on me these days. Last year I took an anti-allergy tablet every day so I didn't end up being (not very PC, I know) the elephant-woman*.

*Does elephant-maniasis every affect women?????

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I had a titter at long-jump pit, as well.

Beasties like MrDt, too. I think he must give off a lot of juicy chemicals because they make a beeline (!) for him. He currently has a third buttock.

16. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Snortle.

My whole family reacts badly to insect bites and stings, so Mr Dt has my sympathy! I don't dare venture outdoors for half the year.

17. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I just am the only person ever bitten! I reckon I could hire myself out to be people's anti bite ploy.

Re the long jump pit...... it was Friday afternoon last lesson on the off site playing fields..... and there was a hedge by the side of the pit. One mossie or gnat it was that got me!

I have to say that of all the "substances" I might or might not have tried in my youff..... those Atarax tablets were absolutely brilliant. I didn't give two figs about anything I was so so relaxed and out of it. ....... and for someone who doesn't get affected by alcohol and stuff.... these tablets were...... something else :)

18. tidal

tidal New commenter

I haven't been bitten at all this year which, considering I have spent a lot of time around (and in) the local reed beds, is fairly miraculous

Not even a tick and I get at least two of them every year.

Whilst I'll admit I'm not quite as tasty as I used to be I never thought the bugs would give up on me too

19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I am convinced that as I've got older I react more badly to bites. Is it because I no longer spend my leisure time playing in woods, long grass & parks? Is it years of reaction to bites which means my immune system over-reacts now? I am mozzies' breakfast, dinner & tea....and as for Scottish midges! AAAARGH!

I got bitten by a spider out walking on Saturday; it got trapped in my sleeve, and didn't like it when I moved my arm. The bite hurt, then was OK until today - 2 itchy lumps to contend with.

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

The bites have turned purple overnight, even though the skin isn't broken. Sand fly bites do that. I wonder why.

Never mind. Commiserations with fellow-suffering posters and thanks to the ones who've made me laugh!