1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bloody Gove and masks

Discussion in 'Personal' started by josiee99, Jul 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. josiee99

josiee99 New commenter

Is anyone else rather cross that we are expected to wear masks in shops, with Gove calling it 'basic good manners' when we are not even allowed to wear them in school? It's not that I want to wear one at all, but the bloody cheek!

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Must be some Tory cronies owning the mask supplying company then.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not compulsory = You don't have to.

agathamorse and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Says who?

lilachardy and agathamorse like this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"Senior minister Michael Gove has said he does not think face coverings should be compulsory in shops in England, saying he trusts people's common sense.

It is understood ministers are considering whether to make mask use mandatory in shops and sources say the issue is being kept under review.

Speaking to the BBC's Andrew Marr, Mr Gove said wearing a mask in a shop was "basic good manners"."

BBC News website

So there we have the 'greater clarity' from government - do as you damn well please.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I'm amazed that we don't have to wear them.

Should be compulsory.

Idiots. Again.

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

However, Scintillant, they're not cheap. An ex-poster has been making and selling them (she uses the money to make ones she donates) at £4 a pop (I have six), and MrA ordered a box of disposable ones online that came out at nearly £1 each. For the number of outings we have, it's enough; but if we were a household with teenagers who were going to work or college or using public transport every day, the cost would soon mount up. I can't see individuals wearing the same moist, hot, clammy mask all day, either.

Dodros, chelsea2, Laphroig and 4 others like this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That's OK. Just go to our local supermarket if you need a mask. The latest wheeze seems to be wear the mask around the shop then when you get back to the car just throw it into your trolley and put the trolley back with the rest. Let the next poor beggar pick it out and dispose of it!

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Disgusting. The trolley staff shouldn't have to dispose of them either. I used to see a lot of used wipes left in trolleys too.

WB and agathamorse like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Flattery for fools.

You know best don't you? you know what's what? - just go ahead and do as you like - we do.

11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’m already seeing discarded disposable masks and those blue disposable gloves discarded in the streets and in the hedgerows of the lanes/fields/woods where I walk the dogs. They are becoming as common as used & discarded dog poo bags thrown into bushes. Some people are just disgusting.

12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Gove’s go to strategy.

EmanuelShadrack and Mangleworzle like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Passing the buck - avoiding responsibility - same as ever.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

And you, will you wear in public places or not?

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've worn one in supermarkets and public places since this started.

Do you wear one ?

LiamD, nomad, EmanuelShadrack and 2 others like this.
  16. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

DfE guidance to schools say teachers should not wear them except in certain circumstances.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. josiee99

josiee99 New commenter

Point is how is it one 'recommendation' for the general populace and another for people working in schools? If, in fact, I am a danger, or inconsiderate, or whatever if I go maskless while keeping my distance in the supermarket why is it ok for me to do this among the children in my classroom, who as everyone accepts, are incapable of keeping their distance?

Lalad, FormosaRed, Jamvic and 4 others like this.
  18. josiee99

josiee99 New commenter

If it is not deemed necessary for me to wear a mask at school then I have no intention of wearing one while shopping. And I will not be made to feel like a pariah for it.

claret09, 1976anne and agathamorse like this.
  19. Aquamarina1234

It is not deemed necessary for you to wear one in school for reasons of convenience. That does not make it pointless to wear one in other settings.

20. josiee99

josiee99 New commenter

Why is it convenient in one setting but not in the other? Makes no sense. It's either for safety or it isn't.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.