1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bloody Chamber

Discussion in 'English' started by figgins, Apr 25, 2011.

1. I am revising Macbeth with my U6. They have done Frankenstein and BC with another teacher. In revising for section B it has become clear that they're weak on structure and so I am focusing on it a bit to improve their confidence. I am fine on Mac and Frank structure, but I'm not sure what the key aspects I should 'remind' them of for BC. I assume the main thing is the subversion of fairytale structures but what else should I mention? Google is strangely silent on this so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be hugely grateful.

Many, many thanks. F.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Not necessarily. In any case, as the focus for a question this has already figured.
    The main thing to look at, as with all the texts, is <u>Elements</u> of the Gothic. How far does BC conform to the generally accepted idea of the Gothic and what what extent do the tales diverge from this? Loads of scope here, as the tales are so diverse.
    As far as context is concerned, ensure that they understand the idea of feminism and feminist writing. You can use the pre-release booklet as a means of informing their views.
    Scope for considering the role of violence in the stories, and what violence actually is.
    The subversion of the fairy tale can be looked at from different angles, too, when we are talking about structure. IIRC, the stories are grouped so the choice of grouping could be discussed. Carter uses Little Red Riding Hood as the basis for several different stories, for insatnce. Why? You could consider inter-textuality witn reference to the werewolf legends of easter Europe,or with Stoker re: the vampire tales.
    Remember that all the AOs are equally addressed at A2 and that they must focus closely on the task.