1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blood pressure

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by heldon, Sep 6, 2019.

1. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

My blood pressure was on average 150/90 when I quit teaching in summer 2018. I am pleased to say that it is now down to about 130/78. No pills, just not teaching! Anyone else had this experience?

2. pmichelmore

pmichelmore New commenter

Yep, went from 160/100 as an Assistant Head to 130/85 within a month of getting IHR!

3. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

My BP story. After a number of tests I was at the docs, and he re-took my BP.

He had a strange look on his face, and asked me to wait a few minutes until after his next (and his last) appointment.

I returned 15 minutes later. Same look. He swapped from his digital machine, to his old, but recently re-calibrated ‘pump’.

After another check he uttered the words you never want to hear. “I don’t want you to worry Mr Quint, but I need to have you admitted to hospital immediately.”

My BP was 210/135.

Later on I was asked, do you smoke? No.

Drink too much? A little, but not alcoholic.

Diet? Actually, pretty good.

Overweight? Yes, but not obese.

What do you do for a job?

Ah! That explains it.

4. pmichelmore

pmichelmore New commenter

My BP was 210/135.

Good grief, it’s a miracle you’ve still got a pulse!

PeterQuint likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Mine is low, Sometimes it all goes a bit black when we've been forward bending in yoga but I just lean over again for a second or two and I'm fine, I just had a health check and it was good. Low bp, 4.7 cholesterol with good score on my good cholesterol, sugar levels fine, bmi ok. The nurse was impressed - blow it I was impressed!

bonxie, eljefeb90 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  6. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

At the time, I didn’t have a clue. It was just numbers.

It’s only in retrospect that I’ve discovered how bad it was.

The scary thing is, after the doctors, I was on my way to the gym.

7. Master59

Master59 New commenter

My bp has always been slightly up...but never took any meds.....after 15 yrs as a firefighter and 22 yrs as a teacher I finally yielded to docs advice after it skyrocketed when I had an infection. Anyway been taking meds for 2 yrs and now is normal...I’ve just retired this summer, so maybe I’ll be able to come off the meds....have to wait and see. Always kept fit etc....so we’ll see if it was related to my stressful working environment or not...?

smoothnewt and PeterQuint like this.
  8. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

My bp is okay. I do remember my dad having high bp and taking meds from his mid 40's. He retired from his job in engineering and with in 6 months he was off the meds. He never needed them again and lived to 85.

MrSaturday likes this.
  9. Prim

Prim Occasional commenter

Worth buying a kit for the house. Mine always goes up in the surgery, white coat syndrom but is fine at home. The silent killer :(

smoothnewt likes this.
  10. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

Had hbp for the last 4 years of my career, controlled by medication.

Within a few weeks of leaving, surprise surprise.... almost normal without said medication.

smoothnewt, eljefeb90 and PeterQuint like this.
  11. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

When I became HOD English I had three different substantial medical issues within a year requiring consultants. The last one said in his opinion they were all physical conditions caused by the chronic stress of teaching and being HOD English.

12. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I met a former colleague whom I hadn't seen in twenty years. He was always eager to climb the greasy pole and took a position as a Deputy Head in a difficult school. His stress levels for so high that it affected his immune system . A bug attacked his liver and he ended up in hospital for four months. Luckily they eventually found a combination of obscure antibiotics and he recovered. Needless to say he left the school and was more discriminating about his work life balance and wary of over committing himself.

PeterQuint likes this.
  13. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I was off work for many months with WRS, my GP never took my BP and I never thought about asking for it to be taken.

14. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

I can beat that.

Went to A&E at 4.00 pm one Friday because I was seeing flashing lights (which turned out to be nothing but could have been a detaching retina).

Within half an hour I was seen by the eye dept and a nurse tried to take my BP with one machine which failed to get a reading , so they tried another machine - in case the first machine had gone faulty - neither machine could get a reading.

I was left from 4.30 until midnight on a swivel chair in an empty room and given pills every hour in an attempt to get the BP down enough to read it. Sitting there on that chair at that time of night was enough to raise anyone's BP!

At midnight they gave up and tried to find me a bed. I remained on the swivel chair until 3.30 in the morning when a bed was found. They continued to give me pills every hour. (The ward they put me on was like Clapham Junction all night long)

Next morning I was discharged with a reading of 245/145 and 5mg of Amlodipine. I was also told to see my GP straight away................

It wasn't teaching that did for me. It was my verbally abusive husband. I left him but still have to take tablets.

smoothnewt likes this.
  15. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

It's a good job you left your husband. I hope your blood pressure is at a better level than 245/145 now.

lardylegs and smoothnewt like this.
  16. Welliebobs

Welliebobs New commenter

My husband took early retirement four weeks ago. He’s so much more relaxed and is enjoying life. However, having him home all the time, new routines, lots of changes...my blood pressure has gone through the roof!

lardylegs, bonxie, smoothnewt and 2 others like this.