1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blood Pressure tablets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Jan 27, 2020.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I was put on the simplest diuretic BP tablet when I was in my mid-forties. It did the job for some years but then my BP was creeping up so I was put on Perindopril, an ACE inhibitor. I have been on Perindopril and Amlodipine for some time now and it is a combination that seems to work for me. I was warned that side effects of Amlodipine could include swollen ankles, but I have not had any. It is all a matter of trial and error.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    minnie me and grumpydogwoman like this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@Pageant

Don't ignore the acid reflux. That can have some very unpleasant effects on the oesophagus.

HelenREMfan and smoothnewt like this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Such useful advice / feedback . Thumbs up emoji. Yes we have a BP machine. Starts the new tablet tomorrow and blood test at the end of the week, and again at some point then Dr at the end of the month.,

HelenREMfan likes this.
  4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Response to medication is very personal and idiosyncratic. Amlodipine almost finished me off. Posted about it a couple of years ago. On apixaban now and no major problems, so good luck going forward.

minnie me likes this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Thank you for that @artboyusa. I guess there are a lot of options for doctors though I suspect there are perhaps a ' go to ' drug for some practioners. I think too we have been / are very fortunate to date in the health stakes and so the whole medication conversation is new ground for us ? Note to self -get out more :D

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'm being kept in Amlopidine as it's worked so well in just 2 weeks to reduce BP. Review in 6 months. I actually had a reading of 119/82 this morning and feel the most alert and fit that I've been for ages.
    ECG was normal.

minnie me, Shedman and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes all the ECG stuff normal. My husband just taken his BP but not taken a tablet am 121/ 81as due to / told to start the alternative to night . Makes you wonder if the high BP was an aberration? What do I know ?!