1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

blood brothers-growing up

Discussion in 'English' started by amylong, Sep 1, 2009.

1. amylong

amylong New commenter

I am making a scheme of work, based upon stone cold, with the title 'growing up' as the theme of the SOW-and I have to incorporate a few lessons based upon 'blood brothers' as part of it too (3 lessons max). Focus of the SOW is on s and l, so can incorporate drama too.
    Was wondering if anyone could think of key parts of BB that I could use for the SOW, related to growing up? i was thinking of the tensions and comparisons between the two in their teen years...any other ideas would be massively appreciated!

2. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

What about the scene between Mickey and Linda on the hillside, when she wants him to kiss her but he's too embarrassed?

Perhaps the "I wish I were our Sammy" monologue about the jealousy issues/sibling rivalry of growing up?

Or the first meeting between the two, exploring the differences and then perhaps the reasons for them, related to upbringing more than growing up?

3. How about the end of the play, where Mickey asks his mother why she gave up Eddie not him. You could use it as a springboard to a discussion about nature vs nuture.

4. Spacecadet

Spacecadet New commenter

How about the 'Summer Sequence' song, which gets them from age 14-18? Or, if you are brave enough, the fact they go to watch 'Nymphomaniac Nights' and 'Swedish Au Pairs'. When teaching BB I always talk about how, despite all the class differebces, their adolescent fascination with sex is the same!

5. You could compare the Kid's Game sequence with the robbery sequence. Both use the same pattern but with changed words. The robbery focuses on how life isn't a game anymore 'maybe if you count to ten and keep your fingers crossed, it will all be a game and noone will have lost'.

6. Got a provocative newspaper article on class and educational achievement that could have been written about Edward and Mickey. Might be the basis for some lively discussion. Any good?

7. amylong

amylong New commenter

thankyou for the great ideas to all of you-no idea how to reply en masse. I've not yet completed my bb lessons yet but have lots for stone cold now if anyone wishes xx