1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blogging

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sparky1985, Aug 29, 2012.

1. I have a blog but I never mention work. Like yours its mainly about health and fitness. And totally anonymous- no pics of me or my name...mainly because Im not ready for my friends/family to see and read it.
    I would tell your Head. Do not apologise for its content though- you are free to write about what you want, how you want, provided you are not bringing the school into disrepute which I doubt you are if you have not mentioned its name, the name of the staff or the children.
    Tell him/her you have a successful blog that you run on the side and you are only mentioning it as due to your success you will be featured in a magazine with a photo and full name. Tell him/her that as any parent who may see it may decide to look up the blog you wanted to let them know in advance as we all know "how parents can be".
    I'd give him/her the link to the blog, explain that you will not be telling other staff as its a personal hobby and where possible you wish to keep work and home separate. Thank them for their time and scoot.
    Finally, a HUGE well done on being so successful blog wise and getting into as mag! You must be so proud.
    Are you a huge blog follower? I can't get by without my daily fix of The Fitnessista, Ali on the Run and Sweet Tooth Sweet Life among others! If you like UK blogs you should check out http://sweettoothrunner.com/.

2. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

I once knew a colleague who was on a Channel 4 documentary about large women losing weight! She had no problem with it, although I could tell some colleagues didnt approve!

As long as your blog does not discuss dildos etc you shbould be fine.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'd mention it to the head and tell them that you'd be happy for them to read it. I think you're worrying unnecessarily but if you don't mention it and someone else does they might think you've something to hide. And well done!

4. thanks everyone, I think I will mention it to her and give her the link so she can see I never discuss my work. At my school there seems to have been a history of staff complaining unnecessarily about other staff but I am sure that my head teacher wouldn't mind, she's very supportive of the fact we're all human beings and individuals and can't be expected to be perfect all of the time. I just don't want someone to look it up, find it offensive and then go to her out of anger, I'd rather have told her myself just in case.
    Oh and thanks for telling me not to apologise :) its so easy to apologise for too much when you're talking to someone like your head! And I'm not sorry for my blog, I'm proud of it :)