1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

blogging...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SFA, Oct 19, 2008.

1. SFA

SFA

Hello,
    I'm thinking of starting a class blog to support my class website - I LOVE juliateachers blog (it's fabulous) but would worry about the security issue of the 'next blog' button on Blogspot.com as I know a lot of my children use the internet at home unsupervised. I'm thinking of starting an edublog and was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom or a class blog I can look at to get together some ideas? Anyone using a different blog hosting site that they can recommend?

Thanks!

2. SFA

SFA

Hello,
    I'm thinking of starting a class blog to support my class website - I LOVE juliateachers blog (it's fabulous) but would worry about the security issue of the 'next blog' button on Blogspot.com as I know a lot of my children use the internet at home unsupervised. I'm thinking of starting an edublog and was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom or a class blog I can look at to get together some ideas? Anyone using a different blog hosting site that they can recommend?

Thanks!

3. I can't believe that I typed a long reply and it all disappeared - this site!!!!!

To summarise, as I really don;t have time to type it all again. Please feel free to visit my blog:

http://missleaman.wordpress.com/

There are other blogs linked in the 'blogroll' on the right hand side of the screen. I have different blogs which are linked at different times of the year depending upon when they are relevant.

My blog was previously hosted by blogroll but I prefer the options offered by wordpress. A draw back is the 'next blog' button and the adverts which is the reason that I am looking to move to another provider. The safety issues do worry me but I have not had a problem in the three years which I have been blogging. We cover security issues in school very regularly and parents are made aware of the dangers of the the blog as it is an internet site.

My main blog currently has around 250 hits per day - it has two years of previous pupils returning to post regularly.

The main benefits are:

- parents can access and post comments about their child's work (some examples on my Literacy blogs - Incrediskills Hall of Fame, Super Sentence, Violet Vocabulary etc).

- pupils leave encouraging comments for each other.

- they continue to learn at home - all be it in a more game based way

- internet use is slightly safer than the random way that my class might otherwise use it!

I wish that I had time to maintain the blogs as much as I want to and the technical know-how to do more.

I do hope that this posts this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Just saw your scan photo, Missleaman. Amazing. I'm about to be a grandma again and have just seen the scan photo.

They didn't do them when I was having my 7.

5. SFA

SFA

That great - thank you so much - your site is fabulous and has given me lots of good ideas.Anyone else got a blog i can look at?

Congratulations on your happy news btw!

6. SFA

SFA

wow - didn't really do you justice with my previous post - have just spent time looking round all the other bits on your blog roll - it's amazing! you really are a clever bunny. I can't believe how much you do! have saved the ict one to my favourites as i'm hoping to steal some of those links for my ict club, hope you don't mind!

7. Thanks for the messages. I would love to spend more time updating it but there is never enough time in teaching!

Feel free to use any of the links/blogs etc.

8. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hi,

I'm just getting into Blogging. I have set up a class blog, which is very new and only introduced to children last week.

I'm interested in how to develop it further. Feel free to have a peek and make suggestions!

Carrie http://34hw.edublogs.org/

9. Really enjoyed looking at the blogs!

10. Sounds like a great idea - good luck with it.

My blog is http://receptionteacher.blogspot.com/

Feel free to come and have a look - it is in its early stages but im hoping to update it frequently

11. Hi!

Hi!

Here's my Blog : http://mariamunyoz.weebly.com/

I am new in this world, but I love looking for new resources and Blogs through the internet.

For students, I would recommend you to create a Weebly blog or use Wordpress, as they do not have that 'next blog' button problem.

Also, do you know about Edmodo?

I love using it with my students

Have a try and let me know how it goes, of course, make sure your students love using technology and that they are allowed to use computers, ipads... etc at home

Edmodo is like an educational facebook, you can share resources, give immediate feedback.... etc

watch the video by copying the link below if interested:

www.youtube.com/watch

Regards!

Maria