1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blogging to consolidate my own learning. Advice re: legality/confidentiality issues

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by bennyboywonder, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hi there

I am currently working in secondary school as a TA and in September I have secured a place on a PGCE at Bristol Uni (Stupidly, childishly excited, but that's another story). Ever since I was a teenager, I have written in my own blog as I find it cathartic, a great way of improving my own writing skills and also it's a great way to sound out ideas and debate issues with others.

In my current role as a TA I am constantly learning new things about working with young people (in particularly SEN kids) and I would love to blog about the things I am learning as a way of consolidating my knowledge, but I am wondering if it is possible to do this without breaching confidentiality. For example, if I were to recount an anecdote from the classroom, is it good enough just to change the names? etc. If anyone has any experience in this area or thoughts on what I could/couldn't write about I'd.

Any and all advice is apprecciated!

Ben

2. Hi there

I am currently working in secondary school as a TA and in September I have secured a place on a PGCE at Bristol Uni (Stupidly, childishly excited, but that's another story). Ever since I was a teenager, I have written in my own blog as I find it cathartic, a great way of improving my own writing skills and also it's a great way to sound out ideas and debate issues with others.

In my current role as a TA I am constantly learning new things about working with young people (in particularly SEN kids) and I would love to blog about the things I am learning as a way of consolidating my knowledge, but I am wondering if it is possible to do this without breaching confidentiality. For example, if I were to recount an anecdote from the classroom, is it good enough just to change the names? etc. If anyone has any experience in this area or thoughts on what I could/couldn't write about I'd.

Any and all advice is apprecciated!

Ben

3. For the record, I had paragraphs in that post. I don't know where they've gone...

4. Hi bennyboy,
    if you remove any identifying features - so place names etc should be changed, basically anything that can help people work out who people are. That might mean starting a whole new blog under a different name tho, and staying completely anonymous, as your current followers may know enough about you to be able to work out what child you are talking about.
    all the best
    K