1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blogging from China (Seeking Advice)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Adrift43, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Adrift43

Adrift43 New commenter

Hello all,

Some of you may have experienced this already, but with my big move to China approaching quickly, I've got all variety of friends and co-workers badgering me to start a blog. I'm not opposed to this at all and it is something I've thought of doing for awhile anyway. Now the obvious problem with occurs to me is that I'll need to take into consideration censorship laws/just what websites will be accessible without a VPN. So I was wondering if anyone could suggest any websites which will work both in China/Outside of China for the purposes of blog writing?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, it really would be worth your while to get a VPN, for lots of reasons, and they are not that expensive. Lots of expats (and quite a lot of Chinese) have VPNs. I did not have any problems writing my blog while I was in the Middle Kingdom and my VPN worked fine.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Anything blog-related is blocked. Get a VPN. It is not illegal to have a VPN, and you will not get into trouble unless you post anti-Chinese content. If you look on YouTube there are western bloggers in China - some are even married to Chinese people, and continue to blog here with no problems.

4. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

A friend of a friend in China, who had a 'thing' for Winnie the Pooh was sent to a 're-education camp' and spent 8 weeks being trained and eating pork.

It's a different world out there.....

5. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Yes, there's a particular problem with Winnie the Pooh..... (which actually shows that the Chinese don't understand the concept - Pooh is the wise one who looks after all his friends and offers advice when it's needed, while Tigger is energetic and charges into things without really thinking - ADHD? - a smarter PR operation would have used that angle.)

6. Hz101

Hz101 New commenter

I currently live in China.
    I would strongly advise you get two VPNs before you come. Most of us out here bought Express before coming, but downloaded a free VPN too. This is because at times when political talks are happening in China, VPNs are usually blocked and you can go a few weeks without 'foreign' internet. During this time, Express was down for a few weeks, but the free VPNs worked. In regards to content, just be very careful what you publish. A lot of things are monitored out here, including WeChat and Weibo. Anti-China posts are dealt with quite harshly if you are caught.

7. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Said teacher was also a vegan.

8. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

Don't get Express VPN, it used to be good and now hardly works!

Hopefully your blog will be a glowingly positive one. The Han-opticon has its beady little eye on us at all times, Comrade! ;)

9. the hippo

You will also get into trouble with the TES Moderators if you keep plugging your blog on this forum. (But who would do a silly thing like that?)

10. Adrift43

Adrift43 New commenter

Right so VPN it is then! I've purchased a Wordpress domain, now I just need to work out how to build the page. Thank you for the advice!

11. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Well, maybe they should sell their story to The Times or The Guardian.

My own Pooh posts have gone unnoticed. So far.

12. mahipaul

mahipaul New commenter

I lived and worked in China for two years, you had better not step out of line at all.
    Even very reputable blogs were shut down. They really and truly monitor everything said on the internet.

13. the hippo

I suppose that my blog must have been disreputable. mahipaul. Monitoring what is on the Internet might be a tad difficult if you have a VPN. Or maybe not...

14. LCass

LCass New commenter

I have three different VPNs - sort of a tax on non-rubbish internet. One of them usually works, at least to some extent. 12VPN is pretty good and has stayed with us during most of the VPN shut-downs. Also, as Ms_Love_ said, I'd stay clear of Express VPN, it's not been reliable at all.

15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Why not just email your friends? No one else is going to see the blog and so it seems a little pointless when you could just keep in contact to people by other means

16. the hippo

Thank goodness no one on the TES ever goes on (and on) endlessly about their flipping China blog or about Bulgaria. Those helpful TES Moderators always delete ******** like that.

bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com