1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blocked up on one side!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Frances1985, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I have been feeling under the weather for about 3 weeks now and currently have a cold. However, I only seem to be blocked up on my right side and, on that side, can feel lots of pressure behind my right eye. I also have a slight temperature and my eyes feel very heavy, particularly my right one. I'm wondering if it is a blocked sinus rather than just a cold? Anyone have experience of this?

Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've had a cold for a week now and my sinuses are now blocked as per usual. Sudafed is the answer!

3. It's sinusitis :( The pain was so bad last night I got no sleep and burst into tears at work through sleep deprivation and the fact that my head felt like it was going to explode! Thankfully I got a doctor's appointment and it's the bacterial kind so am on antibiotics only 2 weeks after taking antibiotics for throat and ear infections! Roll on Easter eh!

4. I hope the antibiotics help. I get frequent bouts of sinusitis (basically, whenever I have a cold, it turns into sinusitis) so I know how painful it is. I suffer badly with the pressure of aircrafts taking off and landing too and, to me, sinusitis is like that feeling 24/7.

5. Poor you! Sinusitis is the pits. A few years ago I went through a phase where I was constantly getting terrible sinus infections. I had lots of antibiotics which did help but the problem would just recur a few weeks later. Eventually the problem disappeared but I do have to watch my dairy intake ... as soon as I eat or drink anything like milk, cream, yogurt, custard, ice cream etc. I end up with painful congestion. I recently started getting sinus pain again and a constantly runny nose ... no yucky discharge though ... don't really know what is going on but I think it is linked with my general health problems (low white cell count and raised parathyroid levels). Funnily enough, despite my low WCC, I never seem to get colds. In fact, I don't recall the last one I had. Rest of the family bring home lots of coughs and colds but I never catch them.

6. Hi all, thanks for your thoughtful replies. I am on day 3 of antibiotics now and woke up this morning feeling a bit better. However, as the day has gone on, I've been having awful pains on the right side of my face. Teaching was a real struggle this afternoon as result. I'm getting a flight on Friday up to Scotland and, although it's short, am really hoping my sinuses have cleared a bit by then so it isn't an unpleasant experience!

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Re. Sudofed - there are several different types of tablet and the only one that works is the one with pseudoephedrine in it. You can't buy it in supermarkets only from a pharmacist.The spray isgood, though, if it's only your nose that is blocked.

I hope you are better by the time you fly as this can be really painful.