1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Blocked hotmail account....or some sort of scam?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I tried to access my 'bethannie' hotmail account this afternoon.
    I haven't used it for a few days and thought I'd check on it.
    I can't access it. Apparantly it has been blocked - someone has been using the account to send spam or in some way abuse the system (according to the on screen message purporting to come from Hotmail).
    The screen message said that I can be sent a code to unblock the account...if I send them my phonenumber. I don't have a phone!
    There was a second option, to give a second e-mail address for the code to be sent there. Fine, I have a 'dummy'e-mail for emergencies, I typed in that. I was then presented with a page of security questions...what was my password for the 'bethannie' account....and my 'secret' question...and i need to tell them some of the e-mail headers I've sent and recieved....and then they wanted to know the names and e-mail addresses of about three people who have e-mailed me on this account.
    Now, I was reluctant to give this info!
    Can someone enlighten me....is this an elaborate scam?...Why would Hotmail need all this?...I'm confused! ....And a tad bothered if someone has totally messed up the account - HOW! I'm the only one using this laptop, and the only person with the password to the account.
    As it is, I can just open up a new account and abandon this one. Family use my account in my RL name - which is so far not blocked!

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I tried to access my 'bethannie' hotmail account this afternoon.
    I haven't used it for a few days and thought I'd check on it.
    I can't access it. Apparantly it has been blocked - someone has been using the account to send spam or in some way abuse the system (according to the on screen message purporting to come from Hotmail).
    The screen message said that I can be sent a code to unblock the account...if I send them my phonenumber. I don't have a phone!
    There was a second option, to give a second e-mail address for the code to be sent there. Fine, I have a 'dummy'e-mail for emergencies, I typed in that. I was then presented with a page of security questions...what was my password for the 'bethannie' account....and my 'secret' question...and i need to tell them some of the e-mail headers I've sent and recieved....and then they wanted to know the names and e-mail addresses of about three people who have e-mailed me on this account.
    Now, I was reluctant to give this info!
    Can someone enlighten me....is this an elaborate scam?...Why would Hotmail need all this?...I'm confused! ....And a tad bothered if someone has totally messed up the account - HOW! I'm the only one using this laptop, and the only person with the password to the account.
    As it is, I can just open up a new account and abandon this one. Family use my account in my RL name - which is so far not blocked!

3. Maybe post this on the ICT forum as well.

4. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Lalad jnr had exactly the same thing happen to him yesterday Bethannie.
    He said he had a lot of spam emails during the past week and he was given the same options as you - he tried sending them his phone number but that didn't work and then he tried the email option but they told him they were sending the code to his alternative email address which they gave as .com, when in fact it is co.uk. Consequently he can't access the code.
    He can't remember the answer to his secret question because he set up the account 8 years ago and it was to do with his favourite childhood film. Were you also asked for your debit card number? Not surprisingly, he didn't want to give this!
    My son is really annoyed - he thinks someone has hacked in to the account, although we have checked the computer and it doesn't seem to be a virus. At least if the account is blocked no-one else can use it either, but it's just very frustrating - he's waiting for university offers and will have to change his email address with UCAS.

5. This happened to me a few weeks ago. I answered all the questions to retrieve my account then changed my password. Someone has got hold of your password so you need to change it asap. The more information you can fill in, the more likely they can retrieve the account. My OH can't remember his password and as he hasn't used his account for months, he isn't able to fill in enough information to prove it is his.

6. Lalad, I didn't give my debit card details or anything like that-just my recent contact e-mails and names of folders I have created. I only found out when my Head sent me an e-mail via my school account to say he had received a spam e-mail from me! [​IMG] Was advised by ICT technicians at school to change password to include capitals and numbers.

7. Hubby has two hotmail accounts (one for stuff like forum registrations that tend to attract spam and one he tries to keep spam free)... he's had problems for a while with emails pretending to be sent from him going through (I think they hadn't hacked his email - just had the details and you can set up the from field on emails to show almost anything you want on some email programmes) and I think they'd auto-blocked both his accounts because of that. He's got them reactivated now but we had much huffing and puffing of discontent while it was resolved - was in the last few days as well so I'm guessing they've had a crackdown going on.

8. chocstraw

chocstraw New commenter

thank you for alerting us to this situation - very useful advice given

9. Hotmail seems to be notoriously bad for being hacked.
    I've been done a couple of times - have always managed to get it back, and seem to have been fine since the last time. I don't remember the process I went through to get it back being as complicated as described here though.
    Be careful of any other accounts that you have linked with that email account - I had horrendous issues with ebay and paypal - although they had different passwords, because they had the email account, they could get in and all info was changed, debt run up etc. Not fun to sort out.
    I did once have an interesting conversation on MSN with the person who had hacked my friends account. She was sat right beside me as I chatted to the hacker. Thankfully, she too got her account back.
    Hope everyone who is having problems manages to get it sorted - having been there, I know how frustrating it can be.

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I filled in the form last night -
    I couldn't remember my 'secret' question....and i didn't want to give names and e-mail adresses....and certainly didn't want to give my bank details (I don't have paypal or e-bay accounts and my Amazon account is linked to a different e-mail address....so bank details seemed non-vital!)
    I sent the e-mail address I wanted unblocked....the name and date-of-birth I thought I'd registered the account with.....the old password.....and the e-mail address to send the unblocking code to.
    I was told it might take 24 hours and they might need more info - but this morning I had an e-mail, no code, just a link and a request to set a new password....and it is unblocked!
    From what I can see someone has definitely tried sending stuff (mainly to Tessers....sorry if any of the **** got through!)...I had loads of 'failed message' notifications!
    I hope the new password holds for a while! (My brother once told me he changes password every 3 months!...I'd lose track! It's all I can do to remember the current passwords for my few accounts! I think the hackers would find it easier to access my accounts than I do!)

11. You can set Hotmail to require a new password every 72 days. I do this and have not been bothered for about a year (fingers crossed).
    I use capitals and non numerical bits - usually a mix of a name and number with an odd thing in the middle - and it seems to work. Our IT bods sent out an email to us all recommending something similar so I assume there has been a rise in incidences recently.
    Good luck and have a good break - I think we all need it!

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

My daughter's hotmail account has been sending spam email to everyone on her list, despite her not using it for months. Annoying and worrying for her